Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddhist Litterature

Hello.
    What buddhist litterature can you recommend?
    I would like exsact information, so i can buy the books.
    I assume i already have the very basic understanding of buddhism, so what books can you recommend?

Thank you very much.

try these:

Comment

Asger, in the Site Content / Foundations section of the site, you'll find a lot of major relevent Buddhist works. All the important sutras. (The menu should work now, if you take your time and let it load)

And once you read them and understand them, maybe you can let the rest of us in on what they mean.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Wow, this is so cool. The entire Lotus Sutra is actually downloadable from this site.
        I'm going to start off by reading that.

Doc - I told you before, it has nothing to do with waiting or incompability. That java menu of yours is just apparently unusable in Europe; the whole thing freezes (really freezes) when you click something.
        I hope i'll soon finish the php menu

Comment

Other people in Europe can use it. Are you sure your browser is set up correctly? The JVM management in IE? Check out the latest help issues in the Site Map area.

Looking forward to your PHP menu. It's going to be a great help. Remember, the television show is on in four days; we'll get tons of hits then.

OH, and there's a hell of a lot more than the Lotus sutra on this site. Check out the Foundations section, if you can.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

hi

Hello.......long time no seen.....
            I'm back now....
            say doc- how can I download those?...
            there's no link or any thing that I can press and download with...
            could u give me any directions about it?.....
            An e-mail (if u have the time for it) would be nice....lol..
            any way if u don't- write a message here..
            thanks!
            M.K

Comment

here's the direct link if you don't want to use the menu: http://www.russbo.com/Foundations/lotus_sutra.htm

Just select all the text, copy, and paste it into MS Word or similar. Save the file, and voila, you've got a nice book ready to print

Comment

Now you guys want me to make PDF files on all that Buddhist literature, lol???

As if we don't have enough to do. Steve, put down the videos and get the Acrobat out, we got work ahead of us...

russbo.com

Comment

You have a Basic understanding of Buddhism...

hahahaha

Not even some Venerable Monks that I've met can be so sure about that one. Better stick to the Four Noble Truths.

Do you understand suffering yet?

Are you free from all attachment?

I watch these guys all the time, come around thinking they know a thing or two about Buddhism. they know what's in the books but not what's in their hearts.

Sure you can read all those sutras and discourses but you better know who you are and then you better be free, because all of this books and ideas amount to nothing when afflictions arise in the mind. That's my practice, watching whatever arises in the heart and mind. I try to focus most of my study on that, that doesn't mean I don't forsake them, I just don't get caught by them.

So tell me when craving or anger arises, do you know what it feels like?

People these like to pass on by the Four Noble Truths. They think it's kids stuff saying, "that's what we learned in the history books." The only thing they learned was to put three words together, Four Noble Truths. Some of them can't even remember what they were; yet, when you ask them what they've been reading they'll talk to you about the Abhidharma or Madhymika. Where do you think all these teachings came from? The Buddha's ass!!! Put that stuff down and start practicing, don't concern yourself with those big books; just more to let go off.

Don't any of you want to be done with it?

Take care,

Brother Action

Comment

Let me tell you something about suffering.

One can never understand it.

For once you think you've had a lot of it, something else can happen to make it worse.

russbo.com

Comment

hahaha

Yeah, but if you turn away from it, you're in a lot of crap, and if you try to make yours then you're also in a lot of crap. So what do you do? what do you do?

hahaha

Comment

I am speaking of things i know nothing about. Please forgive my haughtiness.
                        I think if you understand the basics of buddhism you understand everything. Perhaps buddhism is nothing but profound basics. Of course the only was to fathom the basics is to study the details, and the only way to understand all details is to fathom the basics.... so where do we start?

Anyway, I have read some of the lotus sutra and i have a few questions i was hoping you could answer or direct me to an answer.

What is Arhats, Pratyekabuddhas and voice-hearers? From what I understand, these titles are associated with the way a being has achieved enlightenment.

Also, who is the Thus Come One?

And what is Ganges sands. It is always used to describe the vastness of a quantity.

And Immeasurable Means?

Comment

I moved this discussion to the Buddhism section, Definitions. Let's see how people define these things.

russbo.com

Comment

Asger, after...

...practicing the Genuine Art of Shaolin One Finger Lifting Engorged Veiny Cock, I am the Thus Come One.

Just wanted to let you know.
                            "Arhat, I am your father..."
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

listen, the buddha put forth many different teachings, why? because he understood that people are different

does that mean that a study of buddhism and all its vast teachings and history and philosophys are needed to attain a level of spiritual maturity as that of past masters?

the answer is no, it is not..im of the oppinion that the best way to progress spiritualy is to be guided by one who has experienced ultimate reality directly, not one who contemplates or uses any other form of the thought process to describe the hows, whys or whats etc etc

having a basic understanding of buddhism is easy, buddhism is a vehicle, many people have a basic understanding of buddhism, but they dont realise that buddhism is only a vehicle, buddhism isnt going to make you anything, buddhism teaches you things to open your mind to the truth, the only way you are going to mature spiritualy is by self realisation, not by reading a sutra..the change has to occur within your own heart

now, im not bashing intellectual understanding, infact an intellectual understanding of the buddhas teaching or of whatever spiritual master is usually considered a very good foundation in most spiritual traditions

but as i said above, having a strong intellectualy understanding of any spiritual tradition is nothing, your understanding must be intuitive for you to truly realise the answers you seek and to be able to spread that understanding

amitabha
                              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Working...
                              X