why study martial arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why study martial arts?

to learn martial arts is to acquire power some say, others say its for health, others say its for fun, enlightenment, whatever. have you ever truly asked yourself why you study martial arts? what is it that you want to learn?
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Health, both mental and physical.

If you get your ass beat, are you in good health?
    practice wu de

Comment

Power, health, fun. No really, that is why I do it.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I wouldn't say I study martial arts. I would say I train gunfu.

Reasons why I do it. Because I like training gungfu. It is pretty simple actually.

All the other things about health flexability and skilled fighting are just cool side effects.

And also to have the ablility to beat others who disagree with me skilfully with my bare hands. lol Just kidding, I think.

Comment

when i was a child, the evil crime boss Yamazuka killed my parents and kidnapped my twin brother.

now, i must learn martial arts, so that i can enter the fighting tournament created by Yamazuka to recruit fighters into his underground syndicate, and eventually face my twin brother, who has been turned evil by Yamazuka, and eventually, Yamazuka himself.

only i can decide my true fate....

Comment

damn i must admit, that was pretty funny.
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I hope you meant me, but I think you mean Zachsan.

Comment

i would say i train to tame and also hone the warrior in me.

Comment

One of my reasons for studying is to interact with other people to improve my people skills specifically my intersonal skills.
                  "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Originally posted by Greenknight2
                    One of my reasons for studying is to interact with other people to improve my people skills specifically my intersonal skills.

come again...
                    lol

social health.. I like that
                    practice wu de

Comment

When I first started, I was 12 and it was a recommendation from a child psychologist so that I could build up my confidence. So at first it was for the health of my psyche, then I fell in love with the martial arts and with working out. I would train in it all the time, and I would tell you that it was for my health, or I want to be able to kick ass. But really, it's about the fact that I just love to train, and I always want to as much as I can.

Speaking of which, I think it's time to train now.
                      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I admire that. I am a lazy oaf.
                        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

It started for me when i was about 5 or 6, and my mother made me take karate. that didn't last very long. i started again when I was 18 because i thought it looked cool.

Why have I stayed in martial arts? I think that to answer that, even correctly, would cheapen the love i have for it. To replace passion with understanding is not always a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X