Mix kung Fu Styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix kung Fu Styles

I study Wing Chun and am thinking of adding the study of Hung Gar, is it a bad idea to mix styles or combine the learning of 2 different systems at the same time?

Matuke

imo,

not at all, crosstraining is great! take what you can use from each art and incorporate it into your overall game, you may even want to add a soft art, imo, crosstraining a hard style like WC, with something like xingyi works great.

"Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

cross training chinese martial arts is ok if your already good at one of them...you may think your good but, imho good means being able to kick some serious ass with your arts techniques/principles

and for master splinters info, wing chun is a soft art. technically, its not internal as in soft, sure it has internal aspects but its not like pakwa or taiji i say its soft because of the use of yao kiu and how they manipulate the sensitivity of the bridge.

hung ga would be a good art to cross train in if you are already a proficient wing chun fighter...for many reasons but imo to be a better fighter you should pick up some grappling or develope your body more or focus on some conditioning or something of that nature

if its just out of interest of CMA and u like hung kuen or something then sure go for it i guess..
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

i agree that you should learn a form of grappling also, but this all depends on if you are
        going to be sparring and competing, if you dont plan on actually fighting, well... i cant help you there.
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Yo, Maestro, where you been at man? I haven't seen you on AIM for like a month.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

my moms computer has been down forever, i gave my comp to my sister, and she cut the internet access so i havent been able to go on the net unless i go to the library..

really only came here today to see who won ufc 61 and im very dissapointed sylvia beat arlovski...again, sylvia is a can and i wish i was 7 feet tall so i could pummell him

also i work 3rd shift so it would be unlikely most days of the week to catch me on anyones aim
            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

If you are interested in another style at the same time I think it's perfectly alright to train in them both. But personally, I wouldn't try and mix them together until you have a good handle on both (and by good I mean good).
              Instead, I would just learn how to switch from one to the other depending on the circumstances. Which means you need to practice very hard to understand both fighting style's aspects. Hope that helps. Remember, that's just my opinion and it comes from no extensive experience, what you decide to do is ultimatley up to you.

Regards.

Comment

if by good you guys mean basically you are close to or have mastery then I agree that is how you will see the best results from cross training but please god do not invent your own "new" style and then proclaim yourself a "grand"master 18th degree and teach it because if I read about one more "master's" bio that says so and so trained for 5 years in wing chun then studied hung gar under so and so for another 3 years combining the best techniques- like who the fu¢k are you to even know what the 'best' techniques are- and has 22 yrs combined experience in the martial arts so come train Soft Boulder Wing Gar gong fu, I will shoot squirrels. But since that is actually how a lot of styles have descended, when masters sought out other masters...the principle is sound.

but lots of people fool themselves looking for the most bang for the buck so to speak. I think in a big way that is why we have so much mcdojo around. maybe I am just being cynical because I have been seeing a lot of wannabe mouthbreathers in MAs lately.
                "Arhat, I am your father..."
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Working...
                X