Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What martial art is most practical in a fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What martial art is most practical in a fight?

Hey guys

Haven't been here in a while.

I have a question:

What martial art is most practical for fighting?
    What I mean is not something that takes 10 years to perfect in order to be a good fighter. I am thinking about mainly Wing Chun or BaGua or maybe something else I haven't herd of.

I am now in China and would like to also find a school in that martial art if possible.

Thanks

If you wanna know about the most practical MA existing on the planet well it's an endless debate, that you always see everywhere and that never ends.

If u're in China, I can only think of SanShou and WingChun (knowing that you won't fing Wingchun everywhere?).

Sanshou is a very rich form of Kickboxing, and more subbtle than many would say. It's much more than punching and kicking, there are lots of techniques that are applicable in the street. They always teach elbows as well, although they can't use them in competition. What is good with SShou is that you're well protected during the sparring and even during the fights. It allows you to learn how to deal with contact but in a safe environment. And it's a great form of fitness of course. The use of boxing gloves does not change that fact that if you punch without them, you will still inflict a lot of dammage. It is fighting experience, resistance and mental and physical toughness.

WingChun is a pure bare knuckles fighting art, great for the street. Some say it's easy, that you only need a couple of years to be good at it. They are wrong, it takes a very very long time to be able to use WC techniques in a street fighting situation. WC is a very cunning style of fighting and that makes it really dangerous, potentialy lethal, no kidding. I've known some guys who looked like nothing but had enourmous speed and power, as well as a well conditionned body. But I believe that it's hard to find combat oriented WC in China (but not in HK of course). The really traditional WC might not be as efficient, as you will spend endless time on the forms and pre-made drills... Anyway WC is speed, sensibility and reflexes.

I don't know about the efficiency of the other arts. I know these 2 can be useful in a different way.

Beyond the style you train in, there are lots of other factors as body style, mental toughness, experience of actual fighting, mentality and attitude toward a threat, and factors of luck.

I'm sure others will know much more than I do because I've never been to China -yet.

Cheers and good luck in your research...
    The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

Since you are looking for something simple and fast, aka not ten years required to get good at it, why dont you check in your area for some self-defense classes. These are often mixes of different styles and made into techniques that work.

Just an idea.

Uwe

Comment

I am not in 'my area' I am now in China and i am looking for a place to learn the MA 6 hours a day 6 days a week. so my question is what martial art is best for me to learn here, and does anyone know anything about bagua?

Comment

Sorry,

I read the message wrong.

My recommendation would also be Sanshou and/or Wing Chun.
          I dont know enough about Bagua to make a qualified statement.

Uwe

Comment

what is sanshou? there is something I am learning now called sanda in chinese is it a different name for the same MA or is it something different?

Comment

Originally posted by joedhoe
              Hey guys

Haven't been here in a while.

I have a question:

What martial art is most practical for fighting?
              What I mean is not something that takes 10 years to perfect in order to be a good fighter. I am thinking about mainly Wing Chun or BaGua or maybe something else I haven't herd of.

I am now in China and would like to also find a school in that martial art if possible.

Thanks
              Start fights in bars.

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                Start fights in bars.
                Titty bars.

We'll go with you and offer advice.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

aaaallllll SORTS of titties will come aflyin' at you....

Comment

Originally posted by joedhoe
                    I am not in 'my area' I am now in China and i am looking for a place to learn the MA 6 hours a day 6 days a week. so my question is what martial art is best for me to learn here, and does anyone know anything about bagua?
                    I have been studying bagua for the past 3 years, amongst other forms. There are 3 internal Chinese styles: Tai Chi, Bagua, and Hsingyi. I don't study Hsingyi, but Tai Chi is the slowest, Hsingyi is the quickest, and Bagua is sneaky dirty street fighting with strange circular motions.

You aren't going to learn Bagua quick and dirty although my teachers teach various abbreviated sparring forms and self defense moves based on bagua.

However, from my 3 years studying Chinese martial arts I believe they all borrow from each other and it's all good.

My favorite style happens to be bagua but it just suits me in terms of my age, body style, etc. I don't think you can go wrong taking up anything. I'd suggest that you might invest $70 for Dr. Yang's 3 Bagua DVDs, which are all bundled on 1 CD.

I also like Bagua weapons, which includes Deer Hook Swords and an oversized broadsword.

Also you can practice Bagua into your 90s. I suggest that you look up Lu Ziljian on Youtube to see a 90 year old bagua master in action.

Anyway it's all an adventure. In a real fight, who knows? Basically my first defense for a real fight is to avoid it. Who needs it?

Comment

I don't know anyhting about China. But, I heard James Caan being interviewed and he was asked the same question. His respone was Ju Do No. Ju Do No I have a gun, Ju Do No I have a knife, Ju Do No my friends are here, and will gladly stomp your ass into a liquid etc.

Comment

as far as the 3 "main" internal styles go, i think the speed thing is really little more than style-specific training methods. when it comes down to it theyre all as fast.

same goes for the skeaniness, although to be honest i see why you say it about bagua hehe

Comment

Well i can only speak about what i know. I am in China, studying with Master Fu Neng Bin, one of Chen Zhenglie's 10 favoured students. He's basically the push hands king of Tai Chi. As one of his students i'm lucky enought o get taught application from the beginning and i have to say, Tai Chi is an effective as kicking machine. Though having said that you need intense practice before you can expect to apply it. I know at 3 months with 5 hours a day, 6 days a week i don't feel i could confidently a use much application.

But yeah, i also agree the best defense is good running techinique!

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
                          Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

The best MA.

The very best "MA" that I can think of is the one that gets you out of the situation the fastest. As Bruce Lee used to say; " One, two, three, down.!"

I also remember a story told to me about a new student enticed into a duel at Shaolin Si. The student asked one of the Shaolin monastics what the rules were. the monastic replied; " No, rules, stomp them into the ground.".

Comment

Xinyi hsing yi or how ever you choose to spell it- thats my suggestion its very effective and strictly combat oriented- the problem is finding a serious combat oriented master. If your master has the same idea about fighting as most gong fu people have, you wont learn anything, most gong fu people are afraid of fighting and have no confidence in their technique which in it self is no surprise since they only train for health and talk about fighting. Find a xinyi master who knows what its for, who knows how to fight and you will love it! Simple, direct techniques all aiming to kill your opponent!
                              The most important thing is the masters view on fighting. So many masters out there dont know dick about fighting. These are the ones that will tell you that it takes ten years of slow practise and a shit load of chi to use your technique. Gong fu masters and practitioners are a bunch of girls, hard to find any warriors among them.
                              Xinyi- I practice it, I use it, I love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X