Training in Wudang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training in Wudang

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone can offer any more information than what I've found on the several Wudang websites offering abroad training. To give a little background, I'm 28 years old and at a huge turning point in my life. I've pretty much ruined a marriage beyond repair and really need some self enlightenment. I'm ready to shed my current life, including my job, my material possessions, and start anew. I've trained kung fu off and on for about 10-15 years. I almost went to China to train when I was around 19 with a friend who actually did go for about 2 years, but didn't follow through. I am really leaning towards traveling to Wudang (open to other suggestions, although I think I'd want something more peaceful than, from what I understand, the current touristy situation of Shaolin. I'd love to learn more about Taoism and have been a vegetarian for 11 years. I am thinking I'd like to stay for approx 2 years. I don't have a whole lot of money saved. I guess what I'm looking for is some guidance, how much I would need to make it for that period of time, any websites, and so on. How difficult would it be to find work and have time to make money there, if possible even? Anything else I should consider? Sorry if these come accross as naive.
    Last edited by Nards; 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM.

Nards,

If I had a nickel for every email like this....

OK, first of all, I understand completely. Haven't done the marriage thing yet, but I've had disasters in my life that sent me back to Shaolin. To put it mildly, the episodes there have changed my life. Not necessarily for the best, LOL... But they have changed my life, and continue to do so to this day.

First, the time period. If you read the main site, you'll find that I don't recommend anyone go for more than a few weeks the first time around. Weather can be harsh in the winter, it can be a lonely place to be, which is something that you probably don't need at this point in your life, and, it's a shithole. It's not exactly up to western standards yet. Read the Shaolin FAQ in the main site; there's lots of information there, and also look at the Site FAQ for Visitors, and the Suggested Readings section.

Then, let's talk.

We're here for you man.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

yea im here for you to, i broke up with my gf i was with for 2 years maybe 3 or more months ago and it still hurts...thats not marriage or whatever but its a horrible feeling mentally and emotionally and physically too apparently

i know the feeling of wanting to run away and shit lolo, my grandmother just gave me 5grand to and im tempted to go to thailand or the phillipines or some place for as long as possible and just do a bunch of dumbshit to keep my mind off of things

i dunno then again i should also go to college so i can make money lolo, cause this old basement is really starting to suck

lolo sorry for the rant...ummm yea im here for you though, and no i dont know anything about wudang or shaolin i would suggest u go somewhere nice where you can relax and stuff

id go to docs school like i was gonna do before i met my ex...hes got muy thai, hot girls, a decent school it looks like, hes fun loving all that shit is good.

at wudang and shaolin they will just scam u
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

When me and my girlfriend of about 4 years broke up a bit ago I went on a bit of a bender... of course, one could argue that bender had already been going on for the aforementioned 4 years.. and actually never ended...

But what I'm getting at is, your way sounds healthier. (Provided you get the requisite shots.) However, be careful. From what I gather, in these places, there will be no shortage of people eager to help you "shed your material possessions".

Comment

Dear friend, if u want to analyze ur mind and behaviour, have some spiritual research Wudang and Shaolin might not be the right place to go. I know there are plenty of good monks over there but the language problem will not allow u to communicate.

So why not go to buddhist monasteries or other spiritual places in the UK, US, Thailand or India?

Personally i would recommand India because this place is really a change and u can find a lot of tradition. It is easy to stay there for months, in my first trip i stayed around 5 months and could have stayed longer. If u feel lonely it is easy to go to a place where u find travellers. It will also give u a deeper inside into vegetarianism, though it might be good to have some contradiction, like in some daoist tradition (while some daoist schools are also veg)

In India u can go to Dharamsala and find english speaking tibetan lamas with many places for teaching, Rishikesh to learn about hinduism, tantrism and practice Yoga, Bodhgaya where u will find all buddhist tradition, some Gandhi ashram, Auroville where u will find a town full of westerners dedicated to Yoga, Goa where u will find some hippies to learn about their way of life.

In the US; i would recommand the Thich Nhat Hanh monasteries. The teaching is very simple and connected to daily life, like non violent communication, learning to listen with compassion, taking care of our anger. U can try his book on Anger it is very nice.

www.plumvillage.org

Of course all these places u wont practice wushu, but u have to see if martial art is really what u need at this time of life.

Feel free to pm me if u want more info about India or Thich Nhat Hanh

Peace and love

Comment

Interesting article on training in Yoga in India:

Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

The soft overcomes the hard.

A nice video of Wudang. Seems a pretty philosophical place.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMq2N6h3zUk"]YouTube - The Empty Mind - Wudang Mountain Tai Chi[/ame]

Comment

That one is also interesting. Check other videos from this poster

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f89uwL3dxRY&feature=related"]YouTube - Kung Fu Dragons of Wudang - Masters[/ame]

Comment

Thanks for the support and advice guys. I'm still trying to salvage my relationship. I don't know what will happen going forward. If things do end, which I'm trying everything in my power to not happen, I'm pretty adamant that this is what I want to do.

Looking at prices, I don't think 2 years would be possible for a while, but maybe 6 months or 1 year. I was looking at http://www.wudanggongfu.com/kungfu/school.htm. They have a single room/no private bathroom for approx $6600/year. They sent me a pamphlet with some additional information as well.

I was also looking at http://www.wudang-kungfu.com/ but their fees are higher at approx $8500/year and http://en.wudang.org/about.us/our.sc...ition.fee.html for approx $8600/year.

As far as India, I would definitely be interested in that too, but at this point I think I would prefer training in China.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Yes

Don't go to any school that demands all the money up front.

Rule Number One: Don't trust the Chinese when it comes to business.
                    Rule Number Two: Don't trust the Chinese when it comes to money matters.

Period.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X