Picking a school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking a school

Someone just posted a question about how to pick a school, and, because he double posted, when I removed one, I ended up removing both by accident. Blame my shitty internet connection here in the Philippines.

Anyway, here's my partial answer:

This has been asked many times before; it's a tough one. Browse the forums here; you'll find a lot of information about various schools. Also browse the Shaolin FAQ in the main russbo.com site. You might want to read this in particular, to get an idea as to how to proceed: http://www.russbo.com/Shaolin-FAQ/tr...n-q-and-a.html

Just remember one thing. Be careful what you see on the internet. And, oh, two things. Don't pay up front for any prolonged period of time. Keep your options open. Don't trust anyone when it comes to money.
    Can't remember who posted this, but, my apologies.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

That was me.

Thanks for the reply, what are the current rates at De Cheng's school? (I intend to stay for a year, but I can pay however much money every two months.) If I bring a friend with me, would it be possible to share a room and cut on the costs? What forms of Kung Fu does he teach?

I've been looking around the site and I was very close to going into one of the so-called 'trap' schools, though from your positive reviews I would say DeCheng's school is the best bet I'm going to get.

Thanks!

Edit: Just read you have a school in Phuket, Thailand. Do you have any more information about that? Looks good. Is Thailand a nice country?
    Last edited by hookguy; 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

whatever happened to the guy who was reporting to us on a weekly basis about shaolin? i miss that thread it was like the old doc lol.

the russbo asia facility in thailand has its own website called russboasia lol and it sounds great but ive never been there but im going in the fall.

if anyone remembers the name of the thread they should bring it up for this guy, its a good one
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Josh's thread is in the Shaolin Journals section.

Decheng's prices are probably the same; with the economy being bad, I'm sure I can get a better rate. But going for a year is a mistake. Read the Shaolin FAQ, and that thread I mentioned above. And, Josh's journal, among others.

We're not teaching gong fu in Thailand, yet. Decheng made mention of returning there to teach, but, well, we'll see. I'm taking things one month at a time now, as I have my own issues to deal with in the extended family.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Yeah, I read through the Training FAQ and it looks like training for a year would be a mistake. Is that because it would be very intense, or is it for another reason? What do you think about 2 months of training, then sightseeing around China and then another 2 months?

I'll give the Shaolin Journal a read soon. By DeCheng having the same prices, do you mean 26 USD a day?

What about the room sharing thing, if I bring a friend with me to China will we be able to share a room?

You're teaching Muay Thai and Qi Gong in Thailand, that also appeals to me, they are both very good martial arts.

Hope to hear from you soon!
          Last edited by hookguy; 07-13-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Also, I keep hearing references to Fight Quest, where can I watch that episode that everyone talks about?

Comment

its on youtube, it should be on russbo tv aswell but its not. im sure you can see it other places but its definately on youtube

i personally dont think people dont stay in shaolin becaues of the intensity. just from reading the forum i know it wouldnt be that for me, i dont think i could take a year or shit breathing chinese lolo
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

It's a shithole. Two months and travel is a great idea.

The doc is not on russboTV because I try not to put copyright stuff on it (and most of it is my video anyway).

russbo.com

Comment

Apologies, I have been away from the site for a while. I will conclude that journal in the next week when I'm back in Singapore. A lot has happened, finished up in Dengfeng about a month ago and spent the previous one in Wudangshan; I'll have a journal entry for that as well.
                  I'm in transit right now, but I've got a few stories I want to share with you guys when I've got some time.

Hope you're well Doc,
                  Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X