Thoughts About Shaolin Current Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts About Shaolin Current Events

Well I originally wrote the following in response to Doc's last post in the Demise of Russbo.com thread. After writing it I felt it was a different topic all together and posted it here. Here it goes:

I guess we are getting way of the topic of the thread here, but I think it's sad that sometimes things come to this point. I think we would all agree on why Shaolin Kung Fu has spread beyond China and how the history/art should be preserved. However, It just seems that the monks who branch out often receive daily doses of slander, criticism, and are sometimes exploited. For some of us who are lucky enough to train under a monk and stick with them through the good times and bad we get to see the real issues at hand. We develop this "inside track" not always voluntary mind you. Sometimes, you can get all caught up in the middle and make some difficult decisions. I guess that's why for a while I took a "break" and trained on my own (away from the school) which was good because I was also taking care of some personal matters. It just got to the point where I felt too many people were getting involved in school politics (the "whats happening" scene) there was this constant struggle for control, Shaolin brothers were being divided and it felt like I was beginning to forget why I started training in the first place. I was spending too much time looking into what was going on and who was going to try and take advantage of shifu rather than my own training. What does this have to do with the thread? Nothing. I guess I was just rambling

This may not make a whole lot of sense to those of you who don't train with any of the monks. For those of you who do I think you can relate to some of it. Reading about the PBS special kinda stirred up some of my thoughts about the Shaolin scene here in the states. Thoughts anyone????
    Last edited by SongshanMonk; 09-07-2003, 04:01 PM.
    http://americanshaolinkungfu.org/3.html

The PBS representatives told me that there were concerns about Yanming's appearing. First he wanted to, then he didn't want to, and eventually, the producers, from what they told me, didn't want to deal with them, or him. These things are complicated, you have to remember that it's more than just personalities clashing, or, the interaction of various people's "needs"; money plays a role. As I remember, there were complications with some of the other monks, who shall remain nameless, over money issues. It was not an easy thing to put together. Having been in the middle of it, with respect to Shi Xing Hong, I can assure you that there were "issues" that had to be agreed upon before I could get Xinghong out. And, we had a few agreements that had to be settled, before we agreed to be in this (not all of which were kept).

It was an interesting experience. I still have to sit down and write about it. Yanming was probably better off not being in it, in my opinion
    I have a thought. (That, above, was my previous post that you refer to, from the "Demise..." thread).

I'm a little lost as to what you're referring to. There are so many, many issues at this point that concerns the monks in the US, issues that threaten their credibility and, possibly, their future. The PBS thing is not one of them, as far as I'm concerned. I really don't follow where you're going with respect to this. Can you be a little more specific? Or am I just so inundated with things in my mind, that I'm missing something obvious...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Yes, the PBS special is really nothing to worry about. I just think it's ridiculous in the way they treated Shi Yan Ming. I mean after all they were supposed to be doing a documentary about the monks but then decided to "pick and choose" who's in or out right?

In regards to my rambling, I was trying to go in the direction of thoughts among the Shaolin students in this forum who train under one of the monks. What and where has their experiences brought them with their shifu? Do any of you feel the same way I do or am I over reacting over the issues the monks are facing? Do some of us like me waste a lot of time on these debates and shouldn't? What kind of hardships have you faced? I can only relate to the things I have experienced and some of the events I have witnessed. I don't desire to get into the details of these various events for obvious reasons so I am trying to keep things general.

Some of us here in this forum began their training when thier shifu opened his school doors for the very first time. So in a sense some of these students play an important role with his or her shifu and sometimes are asked for opinions, ideas, thoughts or suggestions regarding issues they may be facing or the school. I was commenting on the thought of this in my post. For me, it felt like I was spending way to much time and energy focusing on these things rather than my own training. I was hoping some of you would share your thoughts about this.

Comment

As to the PBS thing, I haven't seen it. I just know that Sifu was not into the project after he found out more about what they were trying to do with it, and whose views were being presented and how. He felt like he didn't need to be involved I guess.

As to the rest, what you're looking for people to express is sort of personal.
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I suppose it could be personal but I am not asking for details. Just in general. I was looking for people to express their experiences whether good or bad and how they got out of the "training burn out" . I expressed what mine were and and was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment

I seriously got training burn out this year, though, not from training. When this spastic bronchitis erupted in February, leaving me short of breath with the mere activity of walking the dog one block, my training ended abruptly. And it hasn't started again yet (though, I am finally starting to feel better, though not normal yet).

Getting back into it is going to be a bit of a problem I fear. Eight months of inactivity takes its toll. There's a mental and a physical aspect to this gong fu reintroduction; like everything else, it will take some time.

Is this what you were alluding to?
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

A little add on for the PBS special:

Uwe

Comment

Dissed again!

russbo.com

Comment

Respect

1. The state of being regarded with honour or esteem.
                  2. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
                  3. Polite expressions of consideration or deference

Doc,

That site is a shame! They completely pass you over. Your name doesn’t figure in any of the lists. They could have at least listed your name in the “special thanks to” section.
                  In the “learn more” section they present Wong Kiew Kit as a source of wisdom for Shaolin Kung Fu, but russbo.com doesn’t figure in the list of sites for pertinent info about Shaolin and its arts. In my opinion you and your work deserve some more respect than that!
                  I found this site to be a perfect sample for disrespect and malevolence. They don’t have a spark of decency, to say the least.

Cheye
                  Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

I guess we will find out real soon on how this PBS special turned out. I am really looking forward to seeing it. I have not seen any of it....just either read or heard about it.

Doc in answer to your question you asked me, I guess its not the physical aspect of training burn out. Its more the mental aspect mixed in with the shock of how Shaolin is exploited. There is really a lot at stake here with Shaolin in relation to its history and its landing here in the US. It's at the point where the reputation is on the table and it's up for grabs literally. We are seeing various karate federations paying their way to Shaolin rights and yet the monks who spend their life at Shaolin are being outcasted. It's either going to be ones who truly believe in it that will save Shaolin or it will be the ones with the money that will steal it away for their own interest. Interestingly enough, Tae Kwon Do is beginning to go through a similar evolution like Shaolin is in at this very minute. Time will only tell.

Comment

And ironically, one can easily find the root of this problem in the man who alleges to want to save it.

russbo.com

Comment

Well.....you gotta point there....

Comment

Working...
                        X