DocTour 2004, Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DocTour 2004, Again

We're exploring the idea of doing this travel thing to China, this summer. June, to be exact. Can't do it in July or August, because we'll be busy with the DocCamp in Las Vegas. We were thinking of the first two weeks in June; it would include three days of touring in Beijing, followed by ten whole days of training in Shi De Cheng's school, with Shi De Cheng et al, near Shaolin. Price hasn't been figured out yet, but, it will probably be pretty close to what we were charging last year.

Need to have some sort of idea who wants to go. So, we do what we do when we need answers. Or, at least, have a little fun.

We post a poll.

Bring on the fun. Let's see what comes of this.
    Yes, I'd follow doc anywhere.
    21.05%
    Yes, it all sounds good to me. I'm packed.
    31.58%
    No, I want to spend more money on one of those other "wanna be monk" tours.
    5.26%
    No, I'd rather be a baby and stay at home to play computer games.
    10.53%
    Doc going back to China? Isn't that a bit risky?
    10.53%
    Nah, let's play with doc in Las Vegas, eat with doc, pray with doc....
    21.05%
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Well I for one am intrested in the prospect of going.

I read about the DocTour last year and got intrested in the idea of not only visiting China, but going to do some training while I'm at it. It sounds like the soy milk version of one of my many fantasies.

I'm facing quite a few obstacles and much like the possiblility of there even being a DocTour, am unsure of if I could really go. I guess it is important to know I'm 17 living in Virginia, so the trip is a bit more expensive then it would be if I lived out further west. Airfare wise anyway. The trip for me comes to about $3,000. It's not something I'd dare complain about but I do face some problems comfortably accumulating that much by June due to a serious lack of funding. Not to mention school and other activities I have planned this summer.

In anycase just informing you of one who's looking into the possiblilty of joining you all this year. Assuming it's a sure thing of course.

Comment

Come to Vegas for the summer instead. DocCamp for July and August. Get on a Greyhound bus man. Come out and train in our new facility.

Which we SHOULD be in by July...
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

How soon will any information about the summer training camp in Vegas be available?

Also, I am interested in the possible China Doctour. I was able to attend the Shi De Cheng and Shi Xingwei seminar in Fremont, CA. and would enjoy the opportunity to train under their instruction again.

Unfortunately I could not make it to Las Vegas while Shi De Ching was there, but I am glad I was able to meet him before he returned to China. Are there any plans for him to return to the US for future seminars?

Comment

I'm working on the DocCamp details now. Should have it on the web this week.

I'm working on the DocTour details now too. Just trying to get prices from China now. I'm trying to keep it as "tight" as possible, without the possibility of me losing (too much) money.

Shi De Cheng will be back next fall, for three to four months, or more. Possibly this summer.

russbo.com

Comment

Believe me when I say I'd be honored to make DocCamp this summer. It would certainly be more affordable and based off your reaction a lot safer too.

Still the trip to China manages to sounds much more mysterious. Perhaps it will help to hear more information on both. So far I gather that DocCamp concentrates on days filled with a great deal of training and learning on a number of diffrent things. To stay and participate in hours of training and learning causes my heart to swell.

Belive me when I say the number of schools in the east coast that teach some type of Gung Fu are rather sparse. I have a hard time getting a great amount of training done in class due to the distance of my school. Currently I go once a week for a couple of hours. It is an hour drive to and from there. I never mind going of course.

My only concern is the transition from one system of fighting to the next. I know well that a succesful martial artist does well to be diverse in many forms of fighting. Just the same the thought of traveling a great distance to study with a whole diffrent group learning things in a new way feels a bit akward. I guess that's why the DocTour appeals more to me. It's not so much for the training I would be going for it's the experience of travelling to a whole other conutry to study about the source of a lot of things that composes the martial arts so popular in our world today. Yes. That's it. More of the experience than the training. Training would be one of the beneifts of going on DocTour rather than the main purpose of going.

I guess all that is left to do is read more on the subject.

Comment

Belive me when I say the number of schools in the east coast that teach some type of Gung Fu are rather sparse.
              Depends on where on the East coast...

Boston, NYC, Baltimore, DC area, all have a lot of schools. Now if you're talking mid state south carolina, yeah, there might only be a few schools.
              practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee

Boston, NYC, Baltimore, DC area, all have a lot of schools. Now if you're talking mid state south carolina, yeah, there might only be a few schools.
                Yeah that's true. I'm hailing from Virginia and from the past tournament I visited I saw that most of the schools were from DC, Maryland, New York, or New Jersey. But in regards to locally for me: no. There aren't really any schools teaching Gung Fu where I live other than the one I go to.

Comment

there is no question that I would like to go, however as always, it all comes down to the $. so until I know the cost I won't know if I can go. I'm getting a pretty nice tax return this year though so it could be quite possible.
                  "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

They won't let you through Chinese customs with those glasses, lol.

russbo.com

Comment

what are you talking about these glasses are all the rage. fine I guess I could go as my character I played for a brief stint on south park.
                      "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

We miss the glasses.

I'll talk to Chinese Customs for you. Maybe you could start a new trend in Beijing...

russbo.com

Comment

Yo Doc I would like to go to Las Vegas and train for the summer with you and the shaolin monks that are at your school.Also I would like to meet you soon Doc so you can tell me more about shaolin Gong fu and maybe you could help me find out where to train in china for the next year. Can't waite to meet you and train with you all. See you soon DOC JOE
                          lil monk

Comment

Whos' DOC JOE?

Come on down. Should be in the new place by July. Should also have two more monks from Shaolin here by then too.

russbo.com

Comment

Is DocCamp providing room and board too? I'd like to come but the truth is I don't know anyone -friend or relatve- who would put me up for a few weeks in that area. Perhaps I could dish out for some cardboard box to sleep outside in. But the more I think about it getting hours of training a day would be really beneficial. Maybe I'd hang for two, three weeks. Maybe longer. Who knows.

I don't mean to be persitent or rude but, the sooner I know more info, the better I can plan this all out. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X