Weight lifting arm injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting arm injury

Need someones help! Just (this week) started weight lifting to bulk up a bit (6ft 2" and 154 lb) and have managed to injure myself already. First night I did chest and biceps and seem to have some something bad to my arm. Was painful but not too bad, so the next night I did back and triceps. I now cannot straighten my arm and have a pretty much constant pain in the bulk of the bicep. If I do try to straighten my arm or have any weight hanging from it, including my hand I get a searing pain. The rest of my body arches from the workout, but this is something more. Any idea what I have done and what I can do to sort it out? I have tried ice packs and a warm bath, but it seems to be no better. If I brace my arm against a wall I can force it straight, with soem conciderable pain, is this a good idea to stop shortening of the muscle? Please help!

Stu

154 LBS.

6 foot 2 inches and 154 pounds (american pounds) ???? 154 pounds!?!? You need to come to Vegas and have a few buffets and Beer. You don't need to weightlift, you need to put some meat on those bones. That is pretty damn skinny, Dude eat something.
    (This is not real medical advice. I am not a doctor.)

But seriously, because you said "searing pain", you may have torn a muscle and that can be very bad and may require surgery to repair it. Go see your doctor.
    Don't start out with heavy weights, use light weights and many reps. Go slow and be careful with doing too much in one workout.
    Last edited by Steve; 08-20-2004, 09:19 AM.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

i agree with steve. i'm 6 feet, and i used to weigh what you do, and i thought i was skinny. anyway, you might want to keep working out, but the important thing is steak. eat lots of steak. and drink yuengling lager.

as for the injury, well, the lager will help the pain. beyond that i have no idea.

Comment

Two things are possible here. One ok, one bad.

Muscle tears can occur when attempting to lift heavy weights without proper warmup. Sometimes, they can occur with proper warmup; you have to know your limits, and progressively increase your weight limit slowly. It takes time to build up; use weights that your comfortable with, and take your time.

The bad possibility is a tear of the tendon which attaches to the muscle. I can't tell from your description if this is what you've done, it sounds like you just tore your biceps muscle. But, if you did tear one of the triceps tendons, it needs to be surgically repaired. It will not repair itself properly on its own. The only way you're going to figure this out, is to go to an orthopedic surgeon for proper evaluation.

If you did just tear the biceps muscle, surgical repair is generally not necessary. But it will take time for it to hear, on the order of weeks to months, depending upon how bad you tore it. Immobilization, pain medications, anti-inflammatory drugs, and time, and eventually, all will be well. But the next time you start lifting, start slowly.

Remember. You climb a mountain one step at a time.

Feel better man.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Ok, feel like I gotta step in and say something here - I train with Phoenix, I eat with him, hell I practically lodge at his house (god damn that Xbox! I pity his wife) for crying out loud!!!!! I gotta say I'm 5 foot 8 and I weigh 78kg (ish) so I'm quite a stocky guy - and I can put a lot of food away when I want to - but Phoenix can put me to shame. I dunno where the food goes.

Steve, I've watched him force about 3 chickens down his throat in one sitting - he must have some scary sort of metabolism. There's nothing unhealthy looking about him though.

I'm really suprised though, I mean with the amount of Carbohydrate and Protein you eat I would've thought you'd would've seen some gain by now!
          Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

Nothing wrong with having a scary sort of metabolism. Don't we all wish we were able to pack it away and not put weight on. That type of stuff slows down as you get older though.

How's his arm doing?
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Going well I believe. I think he had full mobility back yesterday. Although he still wouldn't let me hit him - some people are just no fun!!

Comment

just don't forget the lager.

Comment

Unfortunately neither of us are lager drinkers (well I'm definately not - not completely sure about Phoenix though).

Although sometimes I am tempted to revert back to my old ways!

Comment

i always say, if you feel the need to revert, revert in style... philadelphian yuengling lager.

lol, i should be getting paid for this.

Comment

More than one pint and I would be useless to anyone, including me.

The only reason I will not let Xiaobeeno hit me is I don't want to hurt him with my new, weight lifting improved arm! Don't want to hurt his pretty face

Comment

That's assuming that I have a pretty face!!!!

Although after some of Zach's Yuengling lager a few people might think so!

Comment

I guess your muscle strain is better.

Now take it easy with the weights for a while. These things take time to heal. And leave beeno's face alone. We here at russbo.com don't advocate the use of violence.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                          X