Benefits of headguards..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of headguards..

In full contact training and I think in amateur boxing (olympics for example) its common to wear headguards.. how much protection (if any) do they really provide to the brain? If you can still be KO'd while wearing one I would imagine they don't really help too much..

It still may make a KO blow not a KO blow without one...

If you are sparring close to full contact, or with hard contact, the risks are inherintly there.
    practice wu de

Comment

The use of the headguard will not prevent injury if sufficient force is applied. It's like tying a rubber tire on the bumper of your car. The old woman's shopping cart that you hit might not damage your car at all, but, the bus will.

There's a section on head injury here in the hospital section. I suggest that you read it. And don't let the concept of head protection mislead you into thinking that you can get hit in the head. Kind of like wearing a rubber in an African whore house....
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Well, really it depends on the head guard. I wouldn't recommend one with a face mask. headgrear I use If I'm doing full contact I won't spar without it. You might as well invest in one.
        There are cheaper one's, and I think I might go for one with a neck guard.

I would also go with a mouthpiece. mouthguard
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Well, really it depends on the head guard
          Headguards will not prevent damage from some mechanisms of injury, regardless of how good they are. Acceleration/deceleration injuries to the brain can occur even if you duct tape feather pillows to your forehead. Thinking that a piece of foam wrapped around your skull will make you invincible in the ring is only asking for trouble.

Be careful. Brain injuries are not fun.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Kind of like wearing a rubber in an African whore house....
            /me cancels trip to african whore house

Wonder if anyone will start a K1 type competition that excludes head strikes.. probably the paying public will demand to see KO's though.

Comment

Actually, kyokushin karate tornaments would fit the bill as a K-1 with no head strikes. Hmm, wait, let me take that back...no head strikes with your hands or elbows. Head kicks and knees are fine. However, they also wear next to nothing when it comes to safety equipment. Some of the big name matches are pretty exciting.

As for head gear....yeah, there's all sorts and they all provide a bit of protection, but the number one thing one should have BEFORE the safety equipment comes into play is a properly conditioned body and a strong neck.
              -Jesse Pasleytm
              "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Working...
              X