Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney problem (long story)

Hi,

I was going to ask this question privately, but maybe Doc can figure this out and more people with similar symptoms can benefit. Yeah, i know it's "kinda" long

My problem has a long history. Now i'm 23. When i was 12 and living in Russia, i got a kidney infection. Often i had a headache and felt weak. My doctor always said it was flu and i just needed rest. After the head doctor of my local clinic looked at my sick logs, he concluded that i might have a kidney problem. He sent me to a special urological hospital where i was tested thoroughly (all urine amount was measured and went in for testing) and found to have"Oksaluria." I don't know the English name, but it has to do with oxalic acid. A few weeks drinking lots of water and eating drugs and vitams like B6, A and E. Then i was sent to a hospice for 6 months on a strict diet and constant observation.
    I was let out with a list of things i couldn't it - mostly things containing this acid and some calories found in chocolate, pepper and other spices, sour fruits and vegetables (esp. sorrel), etc.

A few years has passed and i felt ok. I forgot about my diet and a year ago while training in China, and eating their seaweed soup and such, i started having those symptoms. Get weak quickly during training, major headache, plus now when i pee, i can see some white residue. It looks a bit like that white stuff that floats on top when you're boiling meat. Oh, and if this residue is heavy at the end of my peeing session, some of it remains in the urethra and causes sharp pain.
    - My breath gave up on me one night. I could barely get enough air in my lungs, but i thought it was just because it was really hot and humid. But the problem continued. I even tried using a strong inhaler that an astmatic guy gave me. It didn't help me a bit.

Around the same time i started having other strange symptoms. When i wake up, my tongue is covered in white acidic stuff and feels like it's cut (it's not acid reflux, cause my doctor fed me with anti-reflux drugs for 2 weeks, and that had no effect on me).
    - After training, my foot started itching badly and i discovered a tiny "bubble" under the skin. Then more bubbles appeared around it but disappeared. The thing turned into a tender callus, which i tried to remove with acid callus remover upon returning to America. People told me it was athlete's foot. It didn't really work, but after a while it disappeared on its own after i got back on my diet in US and started flushing out my organism with lots of water. My headaches disappeared and tongue SEEMED better. But still, i would have white discharge in my urine. Which even caused a cyst to form on the base of my didi. Needless to say, i ran to a doctor as soon as i got health insurance (btw, and not to doc this being said, most doctors /esp. in USA/ just wanna rip insane $ from you, but really have no desire of helping you). So my doctor listened to my story and request to take all the tests there are, and said "ok let's wait for the results." After blood and urine tests and chest x-ray results came in, i went to him. He said i was totally fine, but i insisted that i wasn't and he sent me to a urologist. He told me to take more tests, he looked at everything (and my didi cyst) and concluded that it appeared for "no reason" and i was fine. I went back to my first doctor saying "wtf?!" and he said something like "Ok, now listen to me carefully. You are a young healthy man and there is nothing wrong with you. Sometimes people get stuff in their urine when they eat too much acidic stuff but it's ok." I said "But i got a cyst from it" and he was liek "ohh.. right, kthxbye." F*cking Twilight Zone.

Anyway, i kinda just tried to drink more water and stay on a "low calcium, sodium and oxalic acid diet" which i found on the net. But recently i got shocked a bit. One day a tiny itchy bubble appeared again on my finger (a year later after the first one on my foot) and more and more itchy areas all over my body started appearing. And in really itchy places those tiny bubbles/bumps appeared.. They would change locations for 3 days, after which it calmed down, but still my hands are a bit itchy and bumpy.

Ok, the bubble/bump thing could be something separate. But it's clear that the urine discharge, breathing problem, tongue and headaches must be related to my kidneys. So what can i do now? 2 doctors in US said i was ok. They were reputable, but it doesn't mean they couldn't be shoemakers. I don't think i'll find any good doctors here in China and in Russia either, unless i find that special hospital that i went to when i was a kid. So all i can do now is stay on my diet and drink as much water as possible, right?
    I just wish there was something more to do to help me.

I'm not really hoping for anything anymore, but thanks for reading that much.

Sounds like all of your symptoms, other than the "skin bubbles", are from hyperoxaluria. OK, this one is going to be complicated.

Do you have diarrhea? Have you had intestinal surgery? Parents with similar problems? Eat a lot of spinach, cranberry, and meat? Do you urinate enough?

The lung problems might have been due to some fluid overload. I'll explain that later also.

This is going to be a long one.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Oh man, thanks for undertaking this one.

Yes, my grandmother had kidney stones, so i'm hereditarily prone to this illness. Nobody had breathing problems though and my breathing and acid tongue become less bothersome when i keep drinking water for days. My doctor said i may have a "sighing syndrome." Because it doesn't noticably hinder my physical exercise. I just feel too weak to do anything when my "danger level" is high.

I don't have diarrhea, but i did have pooping problem since i was a kid (holding in too long and then staying in the crapper for hours). Now it's better i think.

I had appendix removed when i was 13 or so, but no other surgeries.

I don't eat spinach or cranberry at all, but i eat meat quite often. I try to urinate more, but i forget to drink more sometimes

I asked my mom to try to find any documents from that urological hospital.

Comment

Working...
      X