Ba Duan Jin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ba Duan Jin

HI! I saw a lot of version of the Ba Duan Jin movements and there is some details that I'm not sure. I saw the russbo version and they didn't write the same thing like the pictures and there is some other versions... If you know how the shaolin disciples or masters do it, can you please answer my questions or some of them. I'll really appreciate!!!!

1.Two hands lifting the sky
    A)Is it important to interlock the fingers or we can just put the hands palms up in the air?
    B)To return at the beginning position, do we have to keep hands together or we have to let them falling each sides of the body?

3.Raising one arm upward
    A)When we are with one hand up and the other down, what is the movement of each hands with the breathing to can do after the movement with opposite hands?

5.Swing the body
    A)What is the position of the fingers? Fingers in and thumb out or there is no importance?
    B)What is the correctly breathing?
    C)Do we have to do the complete movement (like in the russbo Ba Duan Jin Images page) with the shoulder straight to a side?

6.Bend the back
    A)I don't understand the rotations to do in the back... Can you explain it?

7)Punching in front with angry eyes
    A)Which fist go first?
    B)In the russbo version he punchs at each side before to punch in front. Do I need to do that?

8)Stand up on toes
    A)Do we have to bounce seven times?
    B)I don't understand the rotations to do in the back... Can you explain it? (You'll probably answer this in the 6th movement.

It think its all what I'm not sure. If you can adds some more comments go ahead! Thanks a lot!
    =========
    Peace out!

B)In the russbo version he punchs at each side before to punch in front. Do I need to do that?
    The "russbo" version doesn't say that. You punch to the front first.

I've thought about this whole "what do I show on the internet" thing a lot before, and I still do. I certainly have not put this information up with the idea that people learn from it. It was more of a demonstration, and resource type of thing. This is why, you won't "learn" Ba Duan Jing from what I put up.

I guess I need to put that video on the site. I'll get to it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

For the punch the image are in this order and the text don't talk about this punch or I just didnt understand this part...

Yeah I know, I can't learn all from just your site but I believe that if I take a lot of different sources I can have something good.. And with help of people on those thngs my Ba Duan Jin will be mostly perfect.
      =========
      Peace out!

Comment

Wait for the video. The Ba Duan Jin section is not "exact", I never meant to spend the time explaining it step by step.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I know for the video but if someone can answer my questions before you put it on the site that will be great...
          =========
          Peace out!

Comment

And some question will not be completly answered by a video so....
            =========
            Peace out!

Comment

I didn't think people were going to be taking this too literally. I've put the pictures in the correct order, for #7.

More details later.

russbo.com

Comment

I'm sorry maybe my file modified because my order is:
                his hand opened his left
                a punch at right
                in front with left hand opened
                a right punch in front
                one punch at both sides
                hands opened with palms up.
                =========
                Peace out!

Comment

1.Two hands lifting the sky
                  A)Is it important to interlock the fingers or we can just put the hands palms up in the air?
                  B)To return at the beginning position, do we have to keep hands together or we have to let them falling each sides of the body?

I've seen it done both ways, but, I was taught the interlocking fingers many years ago, and this is how I see Decheng doing it still. When you bring your hands back down, they come down together; only to return to your sides, once you past the midpoint belly region.

3.Raising one arm upward
                  A)When we are with one hand up and the other down, what is the movement of each hands with the breathing to can do after the movement with opposite hands?

One holds their breath while the hands are at opposite ends, only to breath when moving them to their respective other end (up or down).

5.Swing the body
                  A)What is the position of the fingers? Fingers in and thumb out or there is no importance?
                  B)What is the correctly breathing?
                  C)Do we have to do the complete movement (like in the russbo Ba Duan Jin Images page) with the shoulder straight to a side?

Hands are on the hips, fingers anterior, thumbs pointing posterior. You breathe in when you move from center to lateral position, breathe out when you move from lateral facing, to central position. The shoulders in central position are square above the hips, when you move to lateral positions, the shoulders, in line, are perpendicular.

6.Bend the back
                  A)I don't understand the rotations to do in the back... Can you explain it?

It is simply a flexion and extension.

7)Punching in front with angry eyes
                  A)Which fist go first?

Right fist goes first, to the front.

8)Stand up on toes
                  A)Do we have to bounce seven times?
                  B)I don't understand the rotations to do in the back... Can you explain it? (You'll probably answer this in the 6th movement.

You don't bounce. You raise yourself up on your toes. Seven times. There are no rotations to the lumbar region. No flexion or extension. Just up and down. On your little piggly wigglies.

russbo.com

Comment

Ok tanks a lot doc! I have now some questions more global that can't be answered by videos and related with your last answers.

1)Lifting the sky: You saw both ways, and shi de cheng is doing it with interlocked fingers but if I learned another way, will they correct me at shaolin or just let me do it in the way I like?
                    In a video of the Shi De Cheng's school he's showing to its students to do it with no interlocked... I think, not sure, maybe it's not ba duan jin...

2)Raising one arm upward: Is it the right arm goes first? And my question is more: is their an importance of the order?
                    What are the directions of the fingers when there is one hand in sky and the other down? Is there an importance of that?
                    Is the hand down behind the body or just at the side?

3)Punching in front with angry eyes: In the "russbo version" the monk is doing it at each sides and both sides but i saw anywhere else where they to that... Is he the only one who do it like that? When im going to learn it at shaolin will they teach me to do it a both sides?

4)The rotations: What do you mean by flexion extension?
                    A) to twist the wrists up and down moving the arm
                    B) to do a movement all around the back (is this in the clockwise way?)
                    C) both A and B at the same time
                    D) another thing

I think it's all...
                    =========
                    Peace out!

Comment

1. Either way.
                      2. I learned right arm first. Right, palm up, fingers towards centerline of body. Left, at side, palm down, fingers pointing forward towards centerline of body.
                      3. R forward. L forward. R right side. L left side. R and L to sides simultaneously.
                      4. bending forward and backward from waist.
                      The video will make it clear once I get it online.

russbo.com

Comment

Ok that was short and clear! ;-) I really appreciate!! Maybe the video will help but I think I know a lot now!
                        =========
                        Peace out!

Comment

ChenZen, Yes, I know the Ba Duan Jin. What's your question? On the movements? You know there are many variations to it. A lot of people do it differently. No use in me telling you how I do it. Just wait for a video I guess and do it that way. Their are books and websites on that. Do a yahoo or google search and you can find every explaination you need on what to do and how it helps your body. But I say just wait for a video and do it that way. If you look online chances are you will get totally mixed up. Do it one way and stick with that one.

Comment

But if I go to shaolin with a version that I learned... Are they going to correct me or they will let me do it like I want... ??
                            =========
                            Peace out!

Comment

Of course they'll correct you. All depending upon who your doing it for. What will be on the video is pretty much standard in Shaolin however. I did look on the net for other versions, and what I've seen has been similar, but, with some interesting, and sometimes very altered, changes.

I wouldn't worry about it. I get corrected all the time.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X