Shorinji Kempo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorinji Kempo

Is Shorinji kempo same as Shaolin Kung Fu or what?
    What is the diference?

Thanks

Shorinji kenpo in japanese translates as Shaolin quanfa or Shaolin boxing method. It is a mostly japanese invention; the name came from the founder's wish to pay homage to the Shaolin temple. However, the founder did study Northern Shaolin kung fu in Beijing, and then studied karate, jiujitsu, and other martial arts when he moved back to Japan. I train with a few Shorinji guys from time to time and I'm usually pretty impressed: great conditioning and a wide range of techniques...basically what you would expect to find at a good traditional kung fu place. What basically separates it from any other Japanese martial art, however, is Shorinji's emphasis on Buddhist ethics.

But, no, Shoriniji Kenpo is not Chinese kung fu.
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Originally posted by pazman
      Shorinji kenpo in japanese translates as Shaolin quanfa or Shaolin boxing method. It is a mostly japanese invention; the name came from the founder's wish to pay homage to the Shaolin temple. However, the founder did study Northern Shaolin kung fu in Beijing, and then studied karate, jiujitsu, and other martial arts when he moved back to Japan. I train with a few Shorinji guys from time to time and I'm usually pretty impressed: great conditioning and a wide range of techniques...basically what you would expect to find at a good traditional kung fu place. What basically separates it from any other Japanese martial art, however, is Shorinji's emphasis on Buddhist ethics.

But, no, Shoriniji Kenpo is not Chinese kung fu.
      I am looking for "Traditional shaolin Kung fu" but in my country (Croatia) we have only few wing chun clubs, all Japanese martial arts and Shorinji Kempo.
      I am training Wing Chun two years, but I wanna learn Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu also.

Comment

Well, until you find your 'Traditional Shaolin kung fu', shorinji kenpo (amongst many other arts) could be fun. Give it a try and tell us all about it!
        -Jesse Pasleytm

Comment

I study know some Shaolin kempo, (please correct me if I'm wrong), but shaolin 's animals are usually in forms. Where as shaolin kempo, more broken down. For example, a kempo might be a front punch technique, a side club, and overhead technique.

Wing Chung has some good stuff in it, I find Dragon poles interesting. I'm trying to convince my teacher to give Dragon pole a try. Because of it's length, he could keep younger guys like me away. What Japenese styles are there? Also, perhaps you can supplement your training but other material such as reading forums, magazines, books etc. I'm getting a book on Shaolin Gung fu for christmas

Personaly, what I like most about chinese martial arts, is the chin na, or qi na, tai chi, and qi qong. I like akido, and ninjustu. I'm not really a big broadsword, or katana guy, I like more staffs, and kobuto weaponry. Although if I had one sword it would be a tai chi sword. Spear and wind & fire wheels seem interesting to me.

If memory serves me right, I think there is a Shaolin Gung Fu training center in europe, perhaps you could train there for a few weeks and come back.
          "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

A famous shaolin master once told me Shorinji kempo comes from traditional Shaolin. But what would he know about it?

Comment

That's interesting mortal. Which master told you this? Where did he live in Japan? Like I mentioned before, the founder did study Northern Shaolin, but to what extent and how much of it ended up in the final product I have no clue. The reason I say it's mostly a Japanese invention is that it follows a mostly Japanese training method, ie, paired kata practice. As far as I know there is no solo kata (taolu) in Shorinji Kenpo.

Then again, dress a kung fu man in a karate uniform and most people might agree that he is doing karate; happens to me all the time.

And just to clarify: Shorinji kenpo is a totally different thing from any sort of American 'Shaolin' kempo, like Steve Demasco's (ugghhhh...)
              -Jesse Pasleytm

Comment

And just to clarify: Shorinji kenpo is a totally different thing from any sort of American 'Shaolin' kempo, like Steve Demasco's (ugghhhh...)
                Well, we haven't heard about that in a long time now, have we.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Li peng told me that when you see people doing shorinji that was tradtional shaolin. Not the forms but the fighting apps. He said shaolin used to be only apps. Also I don't think you can base your opinion on where it came from, from one source. I think the name says it all but who knows?

Comment

Working...
                  X