Shaolin Chin Na

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Chin Na

Is there much chin na taught in shaolin these days? How does it compare to eagle claw chin na for example in terms of how its taught/trained and the specific techniques themselves?

chin na

Get Yang Jwing min books on chin na, there a pretty good read.

Comment

It's been my experience, even with the older guys (Decheng, etc) that the amount of true chin na being taught is minimal. The real master of chin na at Shaolin, Shi Su Gang, who is in his fifties (physically going on sixties), was one hell of a knowledge base. I trained with him a bit many years ago; his expertise and skills were phenomenal, far surpassing anything that I have seen with the other guys. In my opinion, the younger generations, Xing and on, just don't get that sort of training, as their schooling is more "wushu" competition oriented.

I saw Su Gang last year. He has, at that time, finished his chin na practice and teaching. He spends his time now with tai ji, and does some teaching at the wushu guan. It's a shame, as he really was one of China's "number one" chin na guys.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Chin Na is one reasons im interestered in the chinese martial arts.
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Originally posted by tai chi
          Get Yang Jwing min books on chin na, there a pretty good read.
          Concurs Yang jwing-mings book on chin na is very good, ive added to Tang Soo Do self defence usinging his images and descriptions of technique and training methods.
          Do or do not there is no try.

Comment

Originally posted by doc
            It's been my experience, even with the older guys (Decheng, etc) that the amount of true chin na being taught is minimal. The real master of chin na at Shaolin, Shi Su Gang, who is in his fifties (physically going on sixties), was one hell of a knowledge base. I trained with him a bit many years ago; his expertise and skills were phenomenal, far surpassing anything that I have seen with the other guys. In my opinion, the younger generations, Xing and on, just don't get that sort of training, as their schooling is more "wushu" competition oriented.

I saw Su Gang last year. He has, at that time, finished his chin na practice and teaching. He spends his time now with tai ji, and does some teaching at the wushu guan. It's a shame, as he really was one of China's "number one" chin na guys.
            agreed....

thk christ he had students then and welcome to nature of the zigsaw trail! ......

Comment

Working...
            X