No announcement yet.

traveling wiht HIV: (Chinese Visa information)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • traveling wiht HIV: (Chinese Visa information)

    I am HIV+ and I am planning a trip to Wudang and a sideline to shaolin. I have seen on many site anyone with HIV will not be allowed into the country. is this current or old standard? I see on ohter site that if you are to stay any longer than 6 months that you need to show proof of being HIV-.
    I only want ot go for 2 weeks. I dount I will train at all. I want to see shaolin, a lifelong desire, and wudang mountain and to trek to the top, where golden palace is.
    so I guess my question is, is it still that way or what?

  • #2
    I've heard the same things sddm, but I don't know. stay tuned and someone maybe doc, will let you know. take care of yourself.




    • #3
      The Chinese government regulations appear to show that those with HIV are not allowed into the country.

      Now, the question, is, how do they know?

      For one, if you answer yes on the Chinese immigration form, that you are HIV positive, they will know, and send you back. Obviously, stating this on the immigration form will trigger all sorts of interesting episodes at customs. You might want to consider this if you go.

      Another thing to consider, is the computer system that they use. Immigration departments all over the world, tie into some sort of database; Interpol and other police authority type agencies submit information to this database when they are looking for people. According to my sources, it's pretty efficient. Actually, incredibly efficient. The question is, is, how "efficient" is it? As a physician, I can tell you that your diagnosis is supposed to be kept confidential. But, "confidential" also means, that it's supposed to be registered with the state database. Without names, supposedly, but, reported.

      According to Nevada law, as a representative example, identification of HIV and AIDS associated individuals is not allowed, except in certain circumstances. Let's look at that portion of the law:
      All personal information about any person provided by any other person reporting a case or suspected case of a communicable disease, defined to include HIV or AIDS, or by any person who has a communicable disease, or as determined by investigation of the health authority, is confidential medical information and must not be disclosed to any person under any circumstances, including pursuant to any subpoena, search warrant or discovery proceeding, except as follows:

      (a) for statistical purposes, as long as the identity of the person is not discernible from the information disclosed;
      (b) in a prosecution for a violation of this chapter, or a proceeding for an injunction brought pursuant to this chapter;
      (c) in reporting the actual or suspected abuse or neglect of a child or elderly person;
      (d) to any person who has a medical need to know the information for his own protection or for the well-being of a patient or dependent person, as determined by the health authority in accordance with regulations of the state board of health;
      (e) if the person who is the subject of the information consents in writing to the disclosure;
      (f) pursuant to specified statutes that require the reporting of certain test results;
      (g) if the disclosure is made to the department of human resources and the person about whom the disclosure is made has been diagnosed as having AIDS or an illness related to HIV and is a recipient of or an applicant for Medicaid;
      (h) to a fireman, police officer or person providing emergency medical services if the board has determined that the information relates to a communicable disease significantly related to that occupation and the information is disclosed in the manner prescribed by the state board of health; and
      (i) if the disclosure is authorized or required by specific statute.
      The kicker is, as usual, the last statment, "if the disclosure is authorized or required by specific statute". God knows if there's a statute in immigration law that requires the identity of HIV/AIDS associated persons to be identified, and so labelled in the immigration computer database. A database which is accessible throughout the world.

      I know that this sounds Orwellian, but, convicted felons do "show up" in other country's immigration databases. If you are a convicted US felon, there's all sorts of hoops that you have to jump through, in order to gain passage to other countries, hoops that are specific to each individual country. Canada for instance, limits visa stays for US felons, and requires them to post bond before applying for visas. China, I have no idea. But, just be aware that this database is far reaching, and fairly effective. Whether it houses information on HIV/AIDS status, is anybody's guess.

      The easiest way to find this out, might be to travel to another country first, such as Canada, to see if anything pops up. That is, if Canada has restrictions on HIV/AIDS individuals. Mexico probably wouldn't be useful as a testing ground, as anything goes down there. But, taking a short trip to Canada would be much cheaper, and easier than going to China. I would hate to recommend that you go to China, and then find that you were turned away at the border.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

      "You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

      (more comments in my User Profile)


      • #4
        I have thought about the , well what if I don't tell them scenario.....then I think well what if they find out somehow and I said no...would I go to jail,would they cane me.....or just say ...see ya......and back to the US I go.....
        when do I declare this? at the border or when I am applying for visa?

        in regards to felons, I am a convicted felon who had his felonies reduiced to misdemeanors, but they would probably not care about that now would they?
        so I was going to apply for visa to china form the US consulate in LA. see what happens....
        I am also going to call there tomorrow and ask about the HIV issue.....
        BTW the felonies were a theft I did about 20 years ago, when I was drugged out. I am since, clean as a whistle......
        and drug free....


        • #5
          I'm not going to offer you any legal advice here. But, a few things that you should be aware of.

          They don't cane people in China. (They shoot them, for things such as drug offences. Bringing anything that you shouldn't be bringing, will get you into all sorts of really, really deep shit. And that's any Asian country, including friendly countries such as Thailand. Drugs are an absolute bozo no no).

          More than likely, if they find out that you've lied to them on the immigration form, they'll get on you on the next plane back to the US.

          If your felonies were reduced to misdemeanors, does your record show only misdemeanors, or, felonies that were changed? I guess it all depends upon what actually shows on your record. If felonies show, you're most probably going to have trouble getting your visa. And, if only misdemeanors show, and you tell the consulate that you've had felonies, you're unnecessarily poisoning yourself. I suggest that you do some more research first, before blundering into the consulate and ruining your chances. A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor, and it won't prevent you from entering China.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

          "You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

          (more comments in my User Profile)


          • #6
            China Visa Information

            Some information concerning Chinese visas:

            A Chinese visa is a permit issued by the Chinese visa authorities to an alien for entry into, exit from or transit through China. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a Diplomatic, Courtesy, Service or Ordinary Visa to an alien according to his status, purpose of visit to China or passport type. The Ordinary Visa consists of eight sub-categories, which are respectively marked with Chinese phonetic letters C, D, F, G, J-1, J-2, L, X and Z.
            C Visa: Issued to crewmembers to perform duties on board an international train, airliner or other vessel, and their accompanying family members.

            D Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to reside permanently in China.
            F Visa: Issued to an alien who is invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.
            G Visa: Issued to an alien who transits through China.
            J-1 Visa: Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.
            J-2 Visa: Issued to foreign correspondents who make short trips to China on reporting tasks.
            L Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing, family visiting or other private purposes.
            X Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to China for study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period of more than six months.
            Z Visa: Issued to an alien who comes to China for a post or employment, and his or her accompanying family members.
            The overseas Chinese visa authorities are Chinese embassies, consulates, and other offices authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. If a foreigner intends to enter into, exit from or transit through Chinese territory, he/she shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa.

            Visas are not required of aliens (except citizens of the United States and the United Kingdom), who hold final destination tickets and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.

            Visas are not required of Citizens of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours: Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece.

            No visa is required for ordinary passport holders from Singapore.

            Usually, the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry (L) visa is 90 days from the date of issue, which means the holder of the visa shall enter into China no later than 90 days from the date of issue once for Single Entry/ twice for Double Entry, otherwise the visa is expired and is null and void. The duration of stay of a (L) visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may be stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry.

            Any person suffering from a mental disorder, leprosy, AIDS, venereal diseases, contagious tuberculosis or other such infectious diseases shall not be permitted to enter China.

            The Validity, Duration of Stay, and Number of Entries of the visa is issued at the discretion of the Consular Officers, whose decisions are based on the laws and regulations of China. The Consular Officers have the authority to refuse any visa applications inconsistent with Chinese laws and regulations, or revoke issued visas.
            (direct from the Chinese Consulate)

            People who apply for the single or double entry L visa need to fill out the ChinaVisaForm.pdf application (attached) only.

            People who apply for a long term work or student visa (six months) need to also have the Chinaphysexam.pdf form (attached) filled out by a medical professional.

            Applications must now be done either in person, or via a travel agent / visa service; passport, photo and fee needs to be supplied. People who want to extend, need to find an authorized branch of the Chinese goverment, to apply for an extension. This usually involves the local police station; a trip to a major city, such as Zhengzhou, might be necessary to accomplish this.

            Those who want to get student visas for six months, need to get an invitation letter from the applicable school or organization, translated into English, and submitted both in Chinese and English, to the consulate, along with both application forms

            Hope this helps.
            Attached Files
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

            "You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

            (more comments in my User Profile)


            • #7
              you are a great guy doc.


              • #8
                yup. sexy, too.


                • #9
                  ok so I looked at the visa application. no mention of HIV there. however on the pysical exam, they do test for HIV.
                  but that is for those staying longer than 6 months.

                  my question to you, seeing as how you have already been there and recently(?)
                  there is a quarentine you go thru correct? or an exam of sorts ?
                  then they decide if they let you go. correct?
                  I guess what I am trying to get at is how extensive in their tourist exam or whatever they do are they? are they going to draw blood from me and make me sit there while they do an elisa test or whatever? or they just going ot ask me some questions?

                  well what if you didn't declare HIV? like we were speaking about earlier. what database do they look at and how extensive is it. I mean I am in perfect health other than the obvious.
                  viral load is undetectable and I am on the meds. the only thing is, is I would have to leave my meds at home otherwise that would be a sure give away when they saw that stuff......
                  I called the consulate to see if there was any loopholes, regarding being HIV+ and having AIDS. to me AIDS is just a clinical measurement of progression. you're still HIV+ when you have AIDS. so I asked them I am HIV+ can I go and they said no.
                  so I am really bummed about his. I have always wanted to go to china, and now I find out I can't. doesn't look like they will be changing the restrictions anytime soon either..


                  • #10
                    During all of my trips there, not once did anyone even look in my baggage. I just walked on through, after picking up my luggage. And if anyone looks like an irrational maddened serial killer, I do. I could have brought a nuclear weapon through the airport, escorted by some scantily clad strung out crack addicted schizophrenic stripper whore with bleached spiked hair. And not get stopped. Even back in the older days, when bringing a computer into the country was a no no (it had to be "declared"), I was never stopped for customs interrogation. Actually, the only time I was questioned, was when I was trying to board a plane in Xian, and the xray (which is used for all luggage everywhere) picked up a sword in my bag. I tried to explain that it wasn't a weapon, and proved so, by stabbing the customs guy with this wushu steel bladed sword in the stomach. That went over well.

                    There is no quarantine, physical exam, blood drawing, interview, once you get to Beijing. Since SARS, however, they do have thermal temperature sensors in some of the Asian airports. Singapore is very accurate with respect to that, both in the entrance and exit areas. if you have a temperature, you're going to get stopped. And evaluated. Beijing, has them for entrance into the terminal, don't ever remember seeing them for exits, but they're probably around.

                    Now, there are a few things that you have to be careful of. For one, officially, I have to tell you that you shouldn't go to China. With god knows how many people who read this web site, I can't start telling people to ignore the laws of China. I think at this point you have enough information to make a fairly decent educated decision about the whole thing. But, from a different standpoint, I would have to recommend that you consider the health aspects of this. China is not exactly the healthiest place in the world to visit.

                    A few things. For one, you're going to be swimming in a virtual sea of new viruses, things that you haven't been exposed to before in the US, things that you don't have immunity to. Getting viral and bacterial respiratory and gastrointesinal illnesses is therefore something that you have to seriously be wary of. For healthy people, it's a risk, a risk that most of us get whacked on. Dysentery and respiratory illnesses are common; in fact, I almost always get some sort of illness when I go there (I even had the pleasant experience of getting SARS; gastrointestinal illness is almost a regular event for me, one which helps me maintain my lean and mean f---ing machine physique, LOL). It's very difficult to avoid getting GI distress once you're there; you have to be very careful with respect to your eating habits. And if you go in the winter months, the chances of respiratory illness are high. Considering your health condition, getting an infection, especially a pulmonary one, is a risky prospect. Get some sort of respiratory illness in China, and you could be toast. End up in the good hospital in WangFuJing, Beijing, and once they find out about your HIV, they'll ship you out of there. Hopefully. (They might "ignore" you and let you "go"...) End up in a local small town hospital, and you're going to be in some serious trouble. Remember, you're prone to illnesses that the non-HIV individual can fight off effectively. Getting one could be the start of a nightmare that you don't want to experience. Health care in China has one hell of a way to go. And I seriously doubt that they have any "experience" or "patience" with the typical HIV infectious illnesses. Not like we do in the US.

                    So, lots of considerations. I'd be more concerned about your health than anything else.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

                    "You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

                    (more comments in my User Profile)


                    • #11

                      Before you leave the airport you will have a medical checking.If they find out,you are HIV affected,Almost you will not be permitted other countries.Depending on the country airport policy,that are not considerable .But you haven't mention your countries.


                      visa information


                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove