Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to become a Monk, take??? - Lost count...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to become a Monk, take??? - Lost count...

Since we regularly get a request on what to do on how to become a Monk in China, move into the mountain to meditate, and so on...

I would like to point any aspiring candidate to the following website for a little of a reality check:

http://www.multilingual.com/

Yesterday the Guide to China 2007 was posted. Click on Downloads and select Guides.

Its a 5MB the web version PDF file containing a number of interesting perspectives as well as info on customs cultures and and also the stark contrasts in China.

////////////////////////////////////////Explanation//////////////////////////////////

Now a number of you probably ask "What the heck is he smoking, because we are talking about Shaolin and becoming a monk?" (probably in a less polite fashion.)

As some of you know I am a professional translator working in the software field. Now if products are being translated into other languages there are a lot of considerations to take into account. I am not going to bore you with all details because otherwise we be here for a while and that would be one heck of a long post.

But the key is this. You need to know the country, the people, customs, and therefore take off your nice and shiny American sunglasses to see what needs to be done to make it a success.

This reference site provides these type of specials with reports from people in the trenches so to speak, menaing being there living there, etc. And anyone going to attempt to enter the Chinese market better heed the advice given. While these references are more business-related per se they provide also some very valuable info for anyone planning on living there.

I recommend especially the last article about the localization professor living in China. It provides a nice reality check.

Uwe

Sorry Uwe.

Utterly useless information, LOL.

For those of you who REALLY want to know how to become a Shaolin monk, it's all here:

http://www.russbo.org/vb/showthread.php?t=1006

Believe nothing else!
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Nice...........

Comment

It's good Uwe. Offers some interesting insights. My favorite quote / comment in it:

Wealth means more in China than possibly anywhere else; it has almost become a symbol of happiness.
        Very relevant....
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks Doc,

I thought you would like it. Also, on the same site if you scroll down a bit there is also a guide from 2004 for Asia in general.

I know its a bit unusual but its good infor even for apsiring monks.

Uwe

Comment

It's more in tune with aspiring business types, but, there are pearls of wisdom scattered throughout. I'm going to read it again, and try to extract some of those "quotes". Simple comments, yet, incredibly deep in scope and meaning. Like the one above...

russbo.com

Comment

Its meant for businesses, but like you said there are a few gems in there. Catch is you have to read the whole thing but worth it (IHMO).

Uwe

Comment

Working...
              X