Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discipline Code

Nobody have a list of all the shaolin martial "inside" monks rules? Do they care about the vinaya code?
    =========
    Peace out!

Blog Entries
    Like I said before, there are different traditions of Buddhism, and different traditions have different Vinaya Codes. Traditionally the Mahayana Version (which would be what all Chinese monks and nuns would follow) is not shared with the non-monastic community. It's none of our business.

Clear and cut.

A Bhikkhu (Bhiksu in Sanskrit) is a monk. Particularly a Buddhist Monk. Fully ordained, Gone Forth and Accepted.

Bhikkhuni (Bhiksuni) is a nun.

Samanera is a novice monk.

Samanerika is a novice nun.
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Well Fa Hui if we are talking about the martial monks of the shaolin temple? What are their traditions and rules for especially them?
    =========
    Peace out!

The wu de that you refer to is for monks to follow, but, it's more so for the students to follow. These are widely advertised rules in all the schools of Shaolin, for the students to adhere to. (and, by default, the monks of course). Kind of like a code of ethics for students of Shaolin.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Chen Zhen, the code which you are probably reading is probably the first book of the Tipitaka, the Vinaya, which is the various rules that monks and nuns in the distant pass had to follow. This Vinaya is only followed by monks and nuns in the Theravada. Like Fa Hui said, the rules differ from place to place, and are generally known only to the monastic community. Therefore, unless you are a monk, it would be of no use to you.
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

What i'm reading is:

The Patimokkha
    The Bhikkhus' Code of Discipline

Parajika -- Rules entailing expulsion from the Sangha (Defeat)
    Sanghadisesa -- Rules entailing an initial and subsequent meeting of the Sangha
    Aniyata -- Indefinite rules
    Nissaggiya Pacittiya -- Rules entailing forfeiture and confession
    Part One: The Robe-cloth Chapter
    Part Two: The Silk Chapter
    Pacittiya -- Rules entailing confession
    Part One: The Lie Chapter
    Part Two: The Living Plant Chapter
    Part Three: The Exhortation Chapter
    Part Four: The Food Chapter
    Part Five: The Naked Ascetic Chapter
    Part Six: The Alcoholic Drink Chapter
    Part Seven: The Animal Chapter
    Part Eight: The In-accordance-with-the-Rule Chapter
    Part Nine: The Treasure Chapter
    Patidesaniya -- Rules entailing acknowledgement
    Sekhiya -- Rules of training
    Part One: The 26 Dealing with Proper Behavior
    Part Two: The 30 Dealing with Food
    Part Three: The 16 Dealing with Teaching Dhamma
    Part Four: The 3 Miscellaneous Rules
    Adhikarana-Samatha -- Rules for settling disputes

"Therefore, unless you are a monk, it would be of no use to you."
    Its false. What i'm trying to do is to look if i'll can accept all the monks rules. And maybe take some rules that i like to add for my current life.

So is the vinaya code used at shaolin?
    =========
    Peace out!

For a website of what Chen Zhen is talking about, please go here.

If you notice what the translator has to say in his other articles, this is clearly what Theravada monks have to follow. Not Shaolin.

Its false. What i'm trying to do is to look if i'll can accept all the monks rules. And maybe take some rules that i like to add for my current life.
    See, now, I think you are going about this the wrong way. If your goal is liberation and the method of training that you choose is becoming a monk, why would the rules matter to you at all? It would be kind of like saying that I want to become a master in kung-fu, but I really don't think I want to hold stances or do push-ups.
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

LOL! its sure, but everytime that i said i want to become a monk, people just say "nobody is able to accept all the rules"...

Do you have a website where i can find the code for shaolin?
    =========
    Peace out!

Do someone know a webpage where I can find the Mahayana monastic code or the Zen (a sub-category) monastic code?
    =========
    Peace out!

I wouldn't expect to see them on a website. it's sort of internal knowledge as to what specific sets of vows go with what stage.

Just look at the codes you can find. You'll find more than enough difficulty.

You can then lock yourself in a room and waste away by trying to follow them all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast