Breathing Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing Techniques

Again sent me this request, privately. He has since wanted me, after discussing it, to make this a public discussion.
    Dear Mr. Doc!

I have the request to you. I am engaged in research of respiratory exercises and their use in martial arts, therapies of treatment and other areas. I want dialogue with people which are engaged in this theme. You know such people? It is difficult to me to search for people of such speciality, it is a rarity. You to me can help{assist} to find contact to such people? For scientific dialogue.
    Kind to you of health!
    Well, I was one of those people, and I suggested that we bring this to the forum. So, here goes. Take a gander and let's see what you all think.

Hi Mr. Doc!

The last some months I actively do{make} experiments on breath through a nose: a breath through a nose and an exhalation through a nose + different modes of muscular effort a stomach{belly}. It is a lot of such combinations. Long use of this breath stabilizes mentality, cures some diseases. It can be applied and in martial arts. I managed to cure breath through a nose a children's autism, but I individually selected a dosage and a mode of exercises.

You feel a difference of application in martial arts breath through a mouth and through a nose? In what their difference? To me interestingly your opinion. I think, that long use an exhalation through a mouth gives fighting abilities, but does not give confidence before people. The exhalation through a mouth deletes mental force from an organism and the person loses immunity against meanness{low act}. I have carried out research of people from special troops and trainers, they practise a fighting exhalation through a mouth. They good masters of war, but they are very weak in an ordinary life. I have studied{investigated} methods of masters of Japan and China. My conclusion such: they use in martial arts an exhalation through a nose. Long use an exhalation through a nose gives increase of mental force, kind health and the fighting superiority.

Chineses and other teachers very often say lies: they practise one method, and to other people teach other method.

What do you think of it{this}, can tell?

Successful Day!
    I like the "Mr Doc" part. My initial response:

The usual response, is people breathe in through the nose, and out through the mouth, to conserve heat and moisture. The nose humidifies and warms the air coming it, no sense blowing it out through the nose to lose heat and moisture. As for the other things, I see no physiological reasoning behind it. The TCM guys might see differently however.
    Let it rip. This should be interesting.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I remember making a thread on this once...

Here it is:

Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Successful Day!

Comment

imo, breathing is connected with any effort that your body exudes.

i think that some forms of these medicinal breathing methods do something in your body like an electrico chemical reaction. breathing is associated with energy work, such as pranayama and chi gung, chi can translate to breath, and so can prana.

in chi gung and yogic practices, they are not as effective when not combined with correct, rythmic deep breathing.

there is a science behind it all. its just not very popular, yet...
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
          I remember making a thread on this once...

Here it is:

http://www.russbo.org/vb/showthread.php?t=1732
          I have read through these messages. These are reasonings on a theme that better.
          At me other purpose. I can personally do that any master martial arts does. I can beat with any breath and it will be fatal. At me a scientific question.
          My question such: what your personal sensation at use of different breath? An example. One person practises different kinds of breath in current of a life. What its response on these of breath?
          I know: different kinds of breath give different sensation of mentality, different fighting skills and style of struggle. There are kinds of breath which are very strong in fight, but they kill also personal health. There is a plenty of kinds of breath. You understand my question? To me important your feeling, your sensation, let this sensation will be silly and ridiculous, but it it is valuable!

Comment

I shall write an example from my life. All kinds of breath are not identical. I know a kind of breath which gives occult sensation of people, sensitivity. There is a breath, giving greater physical endurance, but does not give force of impact. There is a breath which gives prophetical dreams and memoirs to " the last life ". There is a kind of breath which gives strong impact in wooden subjects, but bad impact in iron subjects. This list very big. Who from participants of a forum watched the feelings at employment by breath?

Comment

Borat! x

Comment

for the record, if you have poor crdiovascular performance, ie, cant run a mile or participate in rigorous training without being severely winded, i dont think any breathing methods will benefit you.
                "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I'm curious to hear about all of these different "breathing methods".
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Breathing alone wont do it

While breathing alone is very important, doing it in conjunction with certain movements will considerably enhance the effect on health.

The following is the description of the fiorst of the 18 Luohan from the internal Shaolin training set based on the manuscript "The Shaolin Authentic". Same with the Image.

If there is an issue with the English let me know *Its translated from German.

Position 1
                    Arms are let down along the body, feet are set together.
                    Training method:
                    Stand at attention, set feet together, the toes point forward, let down arms along the body. Clench hands into fists and raise them to the waist level, look straight in the front. Breathing is natural (Photo 1).

Position 2
                    Turn over hands and raise a tripod with power of QI.

Training method: Being in the previous position, without changing the position of legs, slowly move fists from the waist forward and upward in front of you. Fists are at the shoulder level, arms are straight. While straightening arms you breathe out. Unclench and straighten fingers of both hands, then slowly bend fingers and clench them into fists again, slowly return hands to the initial position near the waist (Photo 1). At that time draw a breath.

Move fists forward again, unclench fingers, then bend them with force and clench into fists again as if you grasp something with hands. Return fists to the initial position as if you pull something toward you.

Do the exercise in such a way eight times (straightening and drawing arms is considered one cycle).

Position 3
                    Bending in the waist and stooping forward.

Training method: Start from the position shown in Photo 1. Hands are clenched into fists and placed near the waist. Quickly stretch arms up and draw a breath at that time).
                    Then bend down to touch the ground with fists and breathe out at that time.
                    Do the exercise eight times according to the above description.

Position 4
                    Turn your face up, bend yourself back in the waist and stick out the stomach.

Training method: In the position shown in Photo 4, unclench and straighten fingers and transform your fists into palms. Raise palms up, bend yourself back in the waist, throw your head back to the limit. Stay in that position as long as possible, keeping the balance and controlling breath to maintain it even and quiet.

After finishing the exercise let your arms down along the body, calm your breath and then proceed to do exercises of Form II.

Comment

I forgot to add the image.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting Uwe. There are many similarities to four of the maneuvers in Ba Duan Jing qi gong which is found quite extensively at Shaolin. I wonder if it evolved from what you posted here.

Having had an email conversation with Agan about this, I suspect that he was thinking along different lines though. I'm curious to hear more about what he was thinking. I found it a bit puzzling; it should be good stuff.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by master splinter
                          for the record, if you have poor crdiovascular performance, ie, cant run a mile or participate in rigorous training without being severely winded, i dont think any breathing methods will benefit you.
                          Why? You mean people with short, shallow breaths can't benefit from more diciplined breathing? Fat people? People with no legs? Bodybuilders? Old people? You get the idea. Everyone has breath, therefore, everyone has chi. You're saying diciplining your chi (chi gong) isn't beneficial unless you're already in fighting shape?

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
                            Why? You mean people with short, shallow breaths can't benefit from more diciplined breathing? Fat people? People with no legs?
                            OK LYF, you lost me on this one. Interesting thought processes, I'm intrigued.

russbo.com

Comment

Based on the example he provided of people who "cant run a mile or participate in rigorous training without being severely winded". "Interesting thought process"? Damn, what's next, "Psychopathic Logic: My Opinion of LYF"? Hahhahahhaha

I threw bodybuilders in there for the fact that they represent fitness at a very high level, yet they aren't big on going out and doing a few miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X