Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gong Fu are two characters. Gong and Fu. The first character, Gong, is made up of two characters. The first one being H. Also pronounced as Gong. The second character is —Í. Pronounced Li. When you put these two characters together they make the character Gong, for Gong Fu... H(gong) means work. —Í(li) means power. When put together like the first character in Gong Fu, it means achievement. You need to work hard and put your power into training or the training is useless and you won't achieve anything. The second character in Gong Fu is •v(fu). This character means man or husband. Which at first you may think it has nothing to do with Martial Arts. But if you thik about it, you can't grow into a man until you have gone through the stages of life. Infant, toddler and so on until you become a man. This has the idea of time. So put all together.. work and power combined makes achievement but only through time. One hard training day doesn't make you a master. It takes time. And that is the true meaning of Gong Fu. Many people try to explain it in different ways. I think it's best to break it down and look at it.

a mi tuo fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

Can you guys see the Chinese characters on the page? If not, oh well. What the hell. You get the idea.

a mi tuo fo
      -Xing Jian

Comment

Ok, I hope that link works. That is a post of mine over at shaolinwolf.com. There I believe everyone should be able to view the characters. And more of an explaination.

a mi tuo fo
        -Xing Jian

Comment

I can see the kanji if I switch my browser's character encoding to Chinese simplified.

Comment

OK, good good

Comment

Yongxin has not only attempted to extend his hold on Shaolin by exporting some of his monks to Europe (a failed attempt, from what we've been told), but, recently, with his visit to San Francisco, which I've mentioned before (sans the US "grandmaster" visit, which I kind of expected). He has been in touch with a prominent local San Francisco politician, with the goal of creating a "Shaolin Temple" in northern California. In fact, when I was there a while ago, there is a school in San Francisco that calls itself a "Shaolin Temple" already. Without monks, at least, at this time.

Yongxin is planning on seeding some of his people to the west coast of the US.

And, other places internationally.....
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Oddly enough this topic was on national news in the UK (Channel 4), yesterday.

Comment

Got any more details?
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

It was a short piece but very odd and unexpected to see on a channel like that.

Just said that the trademark of the 'shaolin' name was to be trademarked by the monks, as it has been used for everything from school names to beer. Along with some footage of head smashing.

Comment

Sounds like doc you could use as many marketing guys as you could get. Shaolin Do was brought up. If the shaolin abbot is successful, would they need to change their name? I can see why he doesn't want it as name of soap, yet also the people who teach. Or is it just Shaolin Gung Fu?

I don't know if alot of people could do Gung fu. You have said yourself, that after someone has worked in a factory they aren't wanting to hear it. So american kempo might do some good. As it creates a market for people who are interested in Shaolin, who might read martial arts magazines.

For example, the school, I got to doesn't use Shaolin, in it's name.

The way I think of tradional:

When I was in class sometime, we were talking about tournaments. It was said in a tournament if the judges were more contempory if they might light you throwing your bo staff in the air, and catching it. If they were tradational, mark that down. I think of traditional as if you had to use it, would it be practical?

Someone told me, he was showed a form, once for tournament, then differently for practical use by the same instructor.

I think, I can learn from everyone, regardless there style. From someone who has never studied martial arts, to a shaolin monk. Perhaps, I would disagree with them. If I can do that, then I incorporate their strengths and make them my own.

The main thing I think is a devolution is not necessarily Shaolin Do, if someone really makes an honest effort to teach martial arts, then I think that is good. If someone with no training, opens a school, and only wants money, well...

This of course, is only my opinion, it's not really that important.
                      http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Stay tuned. The Shaolin abbot has not yet finished...

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, he's been here twice now... It was on Yahoo News also. Your brother Gene has remarked on his latest visit, along with the possible Temple in N. Cal. I can't find the thread now over on the Kung Fu magazine forums.. I'll keep looking though.
                          practice wu de

Comment

It's in Gene's latest magazine I think. Small article. The one with Shi De Cheng on the cover. Not sure what this temple is in California though.

russbo.com

Comment

hmm, well, if the abbot starts suing martial arts schools for their name, I can see alot of people going to American Kempo, European kempo, European Kung Fu, or American Kung Fu. Opps, someone might go copyright American, hmm or then again Kung Fu. Darn,
                              http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Re: Translation of above documents

The case was dismissed, not "won". It is therefore open for re-submission and further action.

Right you are and here we go for round two.
                                My friend Wilfried is now being sued by the abbot himself, since Mr. Deyhle does not own the domain anymore but rather the abbot.

I am including the information forwarded to me by Wilfried.

As you know, I have some legal discussions here in Germany about the existance of my url

www.shaolin-tempel.de.

In order to win that battle, I need some support from my friends - the more, the better. So I added a testimonial to this e-mail which says, that friends have known and visited my website between march and november 2000. If I can get enough of these, my url will be untouchable in Germany. So may I ask you to think about it and, if possible, send it filled with your data and signed to my address:
                                Wilfried Scholz
                                Am Schimmelsbusch 25
                                D-41517 Grevenbroich
                                GERMANY

I am attaching the document, for people willing to help.

I can tell you right know that I will be sending mine tomorrow evening CST, because I know him and his website since before this time.

This is going to be a close one to watch.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X