Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doc
    replied
    Learning from a video, and then adding it to your teaching curriculum?

Prostitutes, girlfriends, and other similar beings can learn their "skills" from videos, but, martial artists?

You've got to be kidding.

There are too many intricate "understandings" behind many of the moves in these forms that just cannot be well taught via video. You can do the move, but learning what it means ends up being a different story.

Leave a comment:

• Lung Pao
    replied
    Originally posted by dogchow108
    Hell, I'd learn the thing just for fun. Thats how it starts anyway...

Leave a comment:

• dogchow108
    replied
    Hell, I'd learn the thing just for fun. Thats how it starts anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Maestro
    replied
    well, makeing forms is ridiculous. it is something u can do..but i mean, theres often better forms with much more depth and inherent skills that are already around, so making forms is almost pointless if u know the arts...

its not about the energies perse..more the fact that each system is seperate for a reason, for instance like ive often tried to drill into mortals moronic head, every energie he uses i can duplicate easily(probably better to) because each and every energie found in wing chun has been in hung ga longer and from what ive read in different areas was based somewhat on hung styles bridgeing hands from southern siu lam.

anyway the point is the philosophys are what really seperate us as gung fu brothers and history..some of these styles were historically just hated enemies for good reason since alot of southern siu lam was made for anti qings. but when u talking about philosophy and styles its probably the single most important difference, because besides the manipulation of energy which each system has its own unique subtle differences, they are really not that difficult to learn and get good at its just like anything, espcially with fighters no one is ever satisfied with their power or skill so even though it may not be that difficult to transition to another style and its skills mastering other styles is always something that will take up your time

Leave a comment:

• LeiYunFat
    replied
    The example I used was to highlight the difference between the energies or whatever. What I was referring to was not learning multiple forms that was wrong, it was mixing them...like, coreographing your own thing without understanding what you're making.

Leave a comment:

• Maestro
    replied
    lung pao, is it wrong to add forms to your style? the answer is no it isnt wrong. but if your going to add forms to your style, u better be as good as you think u are to learn a form and add it to the curriculum.

as for your question about hung ga, whatever kind of example that is lei yun fats answer is absolutely wrong considering hung ga does infact contain Bung Bo which is the crushing step the first and most important form supposedly made by wang lang

alot of systems incorporate different forms to their systems. hung ga is no different, hung ga actually contains much that most systems do not like drunken boxing, the praying mantis mentioned before, monkey style etc etc

so, in short no its not wrong because most systems grow in such a way, but like i said, the people usually adding the "new" material do it for whatever reasons they see fit not neccesarily because the system is lacking, these people are also capable of mastering the techniques within a short period of time which allows them to tweak them and master the techniques relatively quickly, if u dont have this level of understanding of your body i wouldnt suggest going about learning new forms and passing them on

Leave a comment:

• LeiYunFat
    replied
    What? You mean...like splice the two? No, I don't think that's a good idea. Practice them both seperately, don't confuse yourself trying to come up with a hybrid.

But if you're asking if it's okay to learn different forms from different styles, why not?

Leave a comment:

• Lung Pao
    replied
    Imagine I practice Hung Gar, is it wrong to add to my hung gar style a mantis form?

Leave a comment:

• LeiYunFat
    replied
    What?

Yeah sure. But a mantis form does not equal a tiger style. You can add it to your repertoire, but you can't really say it's all the same.

Leave a comment:

• Lung Pao
    started a topic Is it wrong to add forms..

Is it wrong to add forms..

Is it wrong to add forms to your stlye. I know a teacher that goes to other styles, buys a video, learns the form, goes back to the pearson he bought the video from to correct details of the form. And adds it to he's style. Is that ok?
Working...
X