diet and gong fu kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diet and gong fu kids

One of the kids in my class is being fed a questionable diet and I'd like to get the thoughts of the board on it before I broach the subject with his mother. He's 7, my youngest student but he has great interest and focus.

She follows an extremely strict diet that is a combination of "food combining" - keeps proteins and complex carbs separate, fruit eaten only alone - and the "blood type diet", which in my opinion is a load of hooey in and of itself. He gets no dairy and largely soy as his main source of protein. He also has a lot of wierd guilt associations with food but that's another thread entirely.

He is sick alot, catches whatever is going around and spent most of this winter sniffling and coughing. He's underweight and small for his age. I personally feel the kid needs more varied sources of protein as a start...

An adult experimenting with diet is one thing, but how do you all feel about restricting a child's diet so severly? I'm diplomatic enough to bring up the discussion with his mom but I want to make sure my research and feelings are valid before I do so.

TIA
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Maybe the kid should be eating more, if he's getting sick a lot. I don't think him eating beef or m&m's are going to make him healthy.

But what do I know, I'm just some guy who knows nothing of this. All I know is I have really been affected by years of drinking growth-hormone-filled milk. Mmmmmmmmm.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

maybe you should post a thread on the cps forum.
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I have a lot to say on this. But it's going to take some time. You're dealing with a very emotionally charged, and, impossible issue. More later.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

and the "blood type diet", which in my opinion is a load of hooey
          It is, it is..

like stomach acid can tell the difference
          practice wu de

Comment

no joke Shaolin (man it's hard for me not to call you NP). I "typed" myself on that diet and they say I shouldn't eat blackberries, but rasperries are ok.

There is some truth to the fact that you can glean more nutrients out of foods when eaten with other foods (calcium & vitamin D for example) but the whole premise is restrictive & limiting because it's far too extreme.

Doc, I very much appreciate your thoughts and look forward to your input here.

continued thanks, y'all.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

A guy I know.. he stopped eating wheat based things because of it...

everything was rice based....
              I don't know if your digestive track could even see the difference between the flowers.
              practice wu de

Comment

First of all, is this kid being raised vegetarian? That's a massive problem right there.

Meat, vegetables, and cooked grains. If she want's to do a restrictive diet that will help his digestion, have her feed him kosher.

Second of all, good luck with this. Unless you have a degree in nutrition (and even if you do) the parent may just pull the kid from your class for questioning her parenting. Or she may react violently. The least likely thing to happen will be her listening to your dietary reccomendations.

I suggest you convince her to go over the kid's diet with their family doctor. Manage to make her think it was her idea.
                Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

My tactic wouldn't be to go on the offensive with her. I will definitely suggest that she review the diet with thier doctor. I have her respect, she places a great deal of trust in me; I'm doing my homework because I don't want to violate that trust... She'll consider what I have to say if I make my case carefully and do my homework.

Comment

just fu****g exercise, when you are hungry, eat, when you are thirsty,drink,um........when you need to use the bathroom, use the bathroom!wanna join the suicide club?
                    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

i need help.

Comment

Thanks for the double post.
                        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

your.........

Comment

welcome.

Comment

lei............

Comment

Working...
                              X