Magick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magick

Just curious. is the invoking of spirits common in buddhism?
    (Besides, spiritual projection, if that is really buddism in the first place, and contact spirit masters as they may call em.)

ask sifu Dan.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Where is Dan? Anyone talk to him lately?
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

I'll pass along a message when I see Guanyin tonight. Coming over with Jesus to watch blue movies and drink mad dog...
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Yes and no fishboy. The invocation of spirits is common in the older shamanistic cultures which predated the spread of daoism and buddhism. Thus to some extent, beleifs melded, and PARTICULARLY in daoism, many of the old practices remained. Sometimes in chinese medicine, you need to get back to those shamanistic roots, and sometimes we do banish (and occasionally invoke) spirits in the clinic.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

But In buddhism specifically?
            Thank you for your reply.

Comment

I've been away for awhile, but I had an interesting thought about the subject of magic. Is it really exist? or is it an illusion in itself? to give one confidence.
              "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Maybe before invoking spirits, one might think about invoking a dictionary.

I just noticed the spelling of this thread, LOL
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

actually it's spelled 'magick' quite often. i bet you'd find it in a dictionary if you look. these days the spelling 'magick' seems to be used to distinguish it from parlor tricks.

GK, most magick is actually a part of some mystical tradition, and most mystical traditions are mostly made up of metaphysical ideas that can't be proven or disproven. no one, however, has proven that they have magical abilities.

Comment

The only official dictionary definition I found for "magick" is the following:
                    An action or effort undertaken because of a personal need to effect change, especially as associated with Wicca or Wiccan beliefs.
                    But, I'll go with your understanding of it, because, living in Vegas, we see that word misused all the time.

russbo.com

Comment

I went to a magiC show in Vegas once...it was....eh. Not too great. But they were free tickets-- we only had to sell 2 hours of our life for timeshare lectures.
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

What if the spirits are things around you, that people hallucinate to think are "spirits".
                        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

And what if the spirits you invoke come not from outside but from inside? What if the demigods are aspects our unconscious minds/souls?

Some hindi traditions beleive that all the dieties of the universe reside in specific parts of the human body. For example, Sri Gonesha lives in your sacrum.
                          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I guess one could also propose that the spirits one sees are simply things that are observed that the miond can't comprehend and simply fills in the blanks with (in)appropriate info. This is common when using hypnosis with crime victims and victims of alien abduction to bring out details that have been supressed. IE under hypnosis two victims of an (alleged) abduction both described the alien exactly the same, except the wife described a face with a huge nose, and the husband described one without a nose at all. The Psychoanalyst involved chalked this up to a common phenomenon (which I can't recall the name of) and assumed that the "alien" probably didn't have a nose, and the wife's mind simply filled in the missing info (in the case a nose) because in her mind a face should have one. My Teacher used to describe the visions one may have in meditation as such...We are not necessarily speaking to ascended Masters, but perhaps simply discovering knowledge we already posessed, and because of the dream-like nature of some types of meditation, our minds put a fanciful spin on the episode to try to reconcile where it got the info from.
                            Mike Evans
                            Medford, NY

Comment

recovering "supressed memories" while under hypnosis is mostly a process of "filling in the blanks" anyway. people just give it more weight because they make things up while in a trance-like state rather than making things up while they're awake. there's a reason this **** isn't usually admissible in court.

Comment

Working...
                              X