Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between wushu and kung-fu(i need help on my thesis please)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between wushu and kung-fu(i need help on my thesis please)

can anyone help me?... i'm a multimedia student here in the philippines and i'm planning to create anINTERACTIVE
    INSTRUCTIONAL WUSHU CD as my final project and thesis. i'm planning to include some video clips and photos but i'm having a hard time looking for good video clips.can anyone help? do you guys know any good site?or can anyone share videos and information? i'm also confused on what text to include for there are so many versions of the history of WUSHU. THANKS A LOT

one last thing what's the difference between WUSHU and KUNG-FU? 14

Wushu, literally means martial art. Wu- being martial, shu being art. So, wushu is the "correct" term for martial arts in chinese. Kung fu means skill aquired over time literally speaking.... It was associated with chinese martial arts and that is what it is commonly refered to in most countries. That being said, a lot of people say kung fu when they are reffering to traditional chinese martial arts. Wushu is used by many to mean contemporary martial arts, or modern wushu. The modern stuffs focus is usually centered around taolu competetion (forms) that resemble kung fu, with added gymnastic type moves. Examples can be found at wushu central in the video section. On this site you can find streaming video and slide shows of some traditional Shaolin kung fu. There are many places on the web to find video clips.... just make sure you ask permission to use them....

Hope that helps.... If you have any specific questions, please ask, there are some people with some actual knowledge of this stuff around here (believe it or not by some of the posts)
    practice wu de

Comment

try looking here - from other forums and google

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

hope they are some help!

dave
      simple and natural is my method,
      true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Shaolin stylee is completely correct (to the best of my knowledge) but at the risk of splitting hairs "Wushu" literally means war...making Wu (war) shu (art). Normally I'm not that anal, but for the purposes of something as important as a dissertation...
        The term Kung Fu is actually an adjective and refers to a "quality of excellence". So the expression you have Kung Fu would be grammatically correct. You could say that in regards to any thing done well...Einstein had kung-fu in physics etc. The term has been bastardized somewhat in the west and has been used incorrectly, but so widely that it's become the norm.
        In reference to it's modern day use Wushu is typically used to refer to the modern performance art, really a study of movement steeped with martial arts postures.
        Kung Fu is typically used to refer to the combative styles of Chinese self defense.

Jeff

hope I helped, and hope I didn't offend Shaolinstylee who really was right in the first place.

Comment

No offence taken....lol....
          I've just always thought of the war=martial thing for wu......
          So, Einstien... good example of kung fu, I usually give the violinist, or musician in general, maybe sometimes a craftsman too.
          practice wu de

Comment

So the expression you have Kung Fu would be grammatically correct
            Glad someone mentioned this. The term gong fu is used, from what I can tell in China, both as a noun (describing the practice of that martial art), and as a descriptor (he has gong fu, ie, he is skilled..l.) The latter seems to be more prevalent in China, and much less so in the US. I've also heard it described as meaning "work hard", which goes along with the whole "work hard and get skilled", ie, "to have gong fu".

We really need to start working on this language some more.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

It is interesting the translations you get from chinese to any roman language. The chingrish is classic. I have to say though, it comes down to interpretation sometimes of what a phrase says, and what it means, and who ever is translating it can definitely put a spin on things in that regard.

If you need more resources for video clips look at these for traditional chinese martial arts:

(have you guys seen these yet?)
              plus a few that I'll post once I find them again. that emtyflower has a lot of good stuff around for traditional.

Here for wushu:
              actually, just realized that dez....err dave posted all my wushu stashes already...lol.
              practice wu de

Comment

There's some information about wushu vs gong fu in the Shaolin FAQ on the site, if I remember correctly. Also you might want to look in the archive in the appropriate sections. This topic has been extensively discussed in the past.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

thanks a lot!

thank you very much guys!

Comment

one last thing

one last thing guys... do you have any suggestions on what to include on my INTERACTIVE CD
                    to make it real cool.??? thank you very much.

Comment

You could always show the contrast of traditional vs. wushu by showing a chang chuan routine and a traditional Northern form. Hung gar and Nan chuan, weapon and weapon etc.
                      practice wu de

Comment

Eh, you're all pretty much right.

Gongfu or Kungfu, simply means "long term work or effort" in mandarin.

However, whoever brought it up is also correct that in Mandarin, gongfu can be used as a noun, adjective, or whatever. In fact this is true of almost every word in Mandarin. A characture becomes noun verb or adjective at the whim of the speaker. For example the first line of the first poem of the dao de jing litterally reads "The Dao which can be Dao'd is not the eternal Dao."

Theres a small amount of good wushu videos on Kazzaa, if you have that program I'd be happy to share some of my files with you.
                        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

If you really want to get downright academic...............

Try examining and juxtaposing the relationship of martial arts as a sport in America vs. the idea of martial arts as meditation or for that matter, art. Theres a lot of people who have lost the spirit of it all in the translation of things into the western world, and it would make for an interesting concusion. Contemporary wushu is evolving into a primarily competition based athletic activity, especially in this country. Traditional gongfu, particularly shaolin and wudan, has nothing to do with competition and everything to do with active meditation to balance out the still meditation also practiced by monks.

Comment

Then again, traditionally, there was always a dichotomy of sorts between people who trained gongfu for religious purposes and those who trained it for battlefield purposes. But the beautiful thing, is that this, like all other dualities, is completely a figment of an observer's imagination.

Comment

I envy your capability to publish wonderful article on forum.russbo.com simply wanted to say I like this !

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X