No announcement yet.

Have you ever used your kung fu in a real fight? Did it work? Please share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i feellike i just walked into a gay party... lol just kidding guys.

HOWS EVERYONE DOING TODAY!!!
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Talking off gay parties, here's SHX at his very own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvOjWShROw

Comment

What is your gayfatuation with this shx guy anyway?
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

This thread has now been hijacked.

Happeh is a world renowned scientologist, and it is his lifetime goal to free us of body thetans we aquired during organ transplants and excessive masturbation. Tom Cruise has consulted him about the dangers of seeking pschyiatric care, and he's been quiet on the forums only because he is now the subject of the Introspection Rundown.

The peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss amongst yourselves.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Have you ever used your Scientology in a real fight?

Comment

One time in band camp i used my scientology to defeat a pschyiatrist. I defeated his body thetans so badly he became instantly clear, quit his job and became john travolta's pool boy.

Comment

Those who tell you that you need five years of training to become effective in defending yourself do not know what they are talking about. or maybe they think you are retarded. ---> or maybe they just hope to rip you off for as long as possible!

Funny thing i found recently, you might have seen it already, check it out, quite nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR7YvOp1O4o

Looks quite a choregraphy but it's the only video of this type i ever seen. I like the no contact nice clean fight, but at least you can see some shaolin moves.

About the topic, u know, i have to agree with Master Lu, keep it as simple as possible, no one can stress it enough.

Then you can call it whatever you like, if you have the ability of controling your breathing and remain calm, you have all that you need to win. It is the most difficult part and i believe that contact sports help a lot with this, but there must be other ways to work on it through meditation.

Start stressing and your body will tense, your mind will focus on too many details to actually bring to to succes in action. This is true for many things though.

Cheers
                The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

Originally posted by master splinter
                  What is your gayfatuation with this shx guy anyway?
                  Umm, does having no dangly bits and being married to someone count as gayfatuation these days?

Chicken

Comment

so you're a girl?

Its not like i can tell, with your strange info...What the hell is an RREFRN?

Comment

power & force vs technique

anyone can learn to fight. However, to be skilled at it requires time, patience and dedication. I have never met anyone that could do a proper tornado kick without guidance. that does not mean that you cant learn it, but it could take years to learn little things that give you true command of the technique.

many people lack skill when they fight, but they have other qualities that seem to work for them. butterbean is a classic example. I believe that if he were matched with a truely skilled opponent he wouldn't last long on heart alone.

anyone can punch and kick, but not everyone can do it effectively. moreover, perfection of skill does take time.

blocking and striking are not there to string along a noob, they are needed skillsets that can determine if you will win the fight or not. truth to tell, if typing a good conversation were martial arts, this site would be full of champions. but the reality is that it is full of kids that don't know that they don't know.

peace

onefocus

Comment

I'm too advanced to use my Scientology to actually fight anyone. Once some asshole came into my convention center and was trying to fight all of us...But we showed him. We made him leave! Hahahahaha! We had security remove him from the building...Scientology wins again.
                        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Biology Class

Back to Biology class...

Young Female = chick
                          Young Male = cockerel
                          Adult Female = chicken
                          Adult Male = cock

... so if I were a guy I would be a cock. I mean, how many guys are gonna use Chicken as an alias? If I were a girl I would be a chick (and a prostitute in Chinese).
                          Therefore I am Chicken!

Chicken

Comment

man that monk is super calm and his control of the leg that kicked at him,amazing!and when the monk finally attacks,he does a low round house kick to the leg the amazingly kicks with another round house with other leg almost hits the dudes face then lol does 540 round house?and lands and the same leg he kicked with

Comment

For some reason people can't seem to remember that Chicken is a woman. I don't get it.

Anyway, I'll kick-start the thread a bit:

many people lack skill when they fight, but they have other qualities that seem to work for them. butterbean is a classic example. I believe that if he were matched with a truely skilled opponent he wouldn't last long on heart alone.
                              I think this is the question the thread was ultimately intended to address. You believe a skilled fighter could take down a brute force guy like Butterbean. But how often have you seen, for example, a welterweight boxer take down a heavyweight? Not to mention a welterweight over the age of 40? Or a woman?

Of course, that's boxing, and the common gongfu practitioner's response would be that he or his master would know how to do it. But this hypothesis invariably goes unproven, because these guys don't get into street fights and they don't enter MMA tournaments.

The best evidence offered for the efficacy of gongfu techniques is anecdotal, and it's few and far between that you even hear a good anecdote. (For instance, apparently none of the commenters here can offer one of their own.) And here you have an entire world -- in fact, industry is a better word -- of traditional gongfu styles and teachers making similarly unsubstantiated claims. And that's not even including the Qi-Punch crowd. Why?

My point isn't that size matters; I think most of us can at least agree on that at this point. And obviously skill helps somewhat, but my question is, how much? If I had to draw up a hierarchy of what matters in a back alley brawl, (a serious one), from my admittedly scant (read: non-existent) experience with them, it would probably go something like this:

1. Numbers
                              2. Weapons
                              3. Element of surprise
                              4. Size
                              5. Skill.

Anyone on here who regularly gets into life-threatening back alley brawls is free to rearrange that list.

Anyway, gongfu training can only contribute to one of those factors, and by my estimation, it's the least important one. Unless of course it's part of your gongfu style to always travel with a crowd of big, armed guys.

Comment

How did you know about Puff-Daddy-Entourage-Gong?

I'd rate it

1Surpise.
                                2Numbers.
                                3Speed.
                                4Brawn/conditioning.
                                5Technique.
                                6Size.

3-6 can change positions depending upon the extreme to which you or your opponent excels in one or more of these categories.

Personally, i respect that size and muscle mass are important in a fight. Whereas against a smaller, poorly trained fighter I might use more qin na than striking. Against a larger muscular fighter, I get a bit scared, and because my gongfu is sort of soft-hard, while i've never had to engage in combat against a much larger heavier person, in a "street fight situation" if i found myself unable to outfinesse the opponent with qin na, I would immediatly and aggressively target the opponents joints if strikes to the body or head proved inneffective.

In a one on one situation without surprise (more sparring than brawling) I'll often attempt to outmaneuver the opponent from standing and immobilize without hurting them, if that doesnt seem possible ill move into striking, and if striking the abdomen and head does not yeild results, and the opponent is still attacking you, I see no choice but to destroy the opponents ability to stand. Use your kicks or your footwork to buckle the knee inward and attack it until your opponent can no longer attack you.

IMHO, this is why "trained" smaller fighters do not fight trained proffessional fighters, because in order to win, you must be either a master of internal arts with impeccable timing and flow, or you must vastly outskill them in grappling, or you must destroy their body.

This means that unless you heavily outskill your opponent, you have to do things that are illegal in most proffessional fighting circuits to win the match against a much larger stronger fighter. This cannot be emphasized strongly enough.

The eagle claw is too deadly for fighting argument does have some credence, if you dont want to cripple people, why get in a fight against a fighter you cant beat without crippling him? Either Master soandso gets served and injured, or chuck liddell would have to relearn how to walk post surgery. If eagle claw master soandso doesnt want to hurt people who arent trying to kill his family, it makes more sense for him to obstain from pro fighting. Eye gouges and throat locks arent legal in the ufc anymore. If someone actually started whipping out dim mak in the ufc, they'd probably make a rule against its use before long.

Many of the techniques which allow a smaller quicker fighter to defeat a larger stronger man require either expert timing and flow, or vicious debilitating attacks to the most vulnerable areas of the body.

Personally, I dont think Im the most skilled fighter out there, I knew from my experience in competition there are some folks i'll mop the floor with and others who will tap me out like its nothing. (used to be in the same weight class as one of Jim Pedro[98 olympic bronze in judo i think]'s little cousins. Scrawny tall puerto rican kid, I considered it a victory if I got the fight to last the whole 3 minutes and lose to a ref's decision when i went against him.

So, if i know i'm outnumbered, outbrawned, but still in a situation where i have to win or go to the hospital, I'm going to do things that would make most pacifists cry. Extreme logic can give way under the presence of high adrenalin to uninhibited ruthlessness.

This is considered inferior technique, and it is used when one is not powerful enough to succeed with superior technique, but inferior in this case does not mean uneffictive. Simply that it is best used sparingly, for its aftermath may be difficult to deal with.

If you want an example of successfully used inferior technique in a life or death situation, with a difficult aftermath, theres a link in the older parts of the forum to a story about a gongfu master killing several armed robbers and then ending up in a whole lot of legal trouble, because self defense goes out the window if you stab one of them with his own knife as he's running away from you.

And zach, if you wanted anectdotal evidence, I left some earlier in thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X