No announcement yet.

Asian Tsunami Kills 12,300, Many More Homeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devastating. I heard on the news they had about an hour or two fromt he time of the quake to the waves. I heard there was little or no warning to the people, and that is just wrong.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
      That is nuts...

23 THOUSAND!

wow, that is a small city.
      That's in all 9 countries effected around the Indian Ocean.
      And 11,000 in just Sri Lanka.
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

It will go up as the sea gives back what it took.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Steve, yeah, I was just referring to Sri Lanka alone. They reported that, including the tamil rebels, there is something like 11,500.

Really a pity. Wonder what, if anything, will be the lingering results of this when I (hopefully) travel there next fall.

g
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

no more numbers

I am not going to try to keep up or post any more numbers, because I don't think any of the news services have it right or anyone will ever know the truth how many really died from this.
            I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
            "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
            "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
            "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

I heard there was little or no warning to the people, and that is just wrong.
              I have the same feeling. I mean, is there no one ahead of the waves? No radio? I understand evacuation is a process, but these people had no warning at all. It seems no one was called off the beach due to high tides.. In fact, many apparently ran out to see why the water was receding, only to find a wall of water smack back in their faces.

Here's video. You can see what happened to people on beaches. I didn't know how to make a direct link to the video, but scroll down the page a little and you'll see the link.

tsunami hitting resort
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I've been watching some of these videos... tsunamis are crazy... So much energy it is scary.
                practice wu de

Comment

i'm hearing 55,000 now.

Comment

We called our friends in Thailand again. Things are supposedly returning to some sort of normalcy already. Because Phuket is mountainous, only parts of it got hit badly, such as Patong, Kata, and Karon. Further up the coast, where many people have been buying "beachfront" land because it's too expensive in Phuket, there was far more devastation. Khao Lak got hit really hard. It sits flat, surrounded by mountains, and is a new, burgeoning community, full of Swedes, who go there to escape the cold in Sweden. The people of Phuket are sending a lot of relief supplies to the Khao Lak area now. Lot's of deaths up there. Phuket actually survived this fairly well, considering how the rest of the region got slammed.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

They're saying now the number of dead can possibly multiply due to infectious disease. Care for any comentary on post-tidal wave disease outbreaks? where would the diseases be coming from, or is it simply a case of the water making it easier to grow and spread?

Comment

80,000 now.

Comment

A lot of these areas didn't have what we'd call adequate facilities for sewage, garbage, etc. This will only be multiplied by the disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't trace a persons death 4 years from now back via diseases to the disaster.
                          practice wu de

Comment

Cholera and typhus are common after disasters such as these, because of poor sanitation, and infected drinking water. Parasites, depending upon the region, can become prevalent due to disruption of natural drinking supplies and movement of populations.
                            Originally posted by dogchow108
                            They're saying now the number of dead can possibly multiply due to infectious disease. Care for any comentary on post-tidal wave disease outbreaks? where would the diseases be coming from, or is it simply a case of the water making it easier to grow and spread?

russbo.com

Comment

Quake Changes Earth's Rotation, Moves Islands

Comment

another good article
                                practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                                X