X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO what if I do? *get's kleenex*
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

That special was an insult to anyone who really trains.
      Even Xing_jian108

Comment

Those Discovery specials on martial arts are the pits. I've probably commented on this before, and I don't have all that much against XMA. You won't catch me doing that junk but as long as it gets kids off the couch and doing something, I can't complain too much.

My main beef with Discovery is the combination of hype and total lack of research in any of the specials. Featuring the fraudulant Combat Ki group alongside decent and hard working martial artists is more of an insult than any amount of XMA. I enjoyed seeing Shi Yan Ming in some of the specials; you can tell he busts his ass on a daily basis. I did not enjoy the commentator heaping on the Shaolin hype that neither he nor his students would.
        -Jesse Pasleytm
        "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

While I agree Paz.. I'd just say, remember that they are unfortunatly doing a show that needs to make money. As sad as it is.. I think it is kind of funny (after I get over myself and my frustration) watching these specials.
          practice wu de

Comment

I have never seen a Shaolin Discovery episode. But I have seen the Nation Geographic one, which I enjoyed alot.

Comment

I enjoyed the Ulyesses thing too, and after all that talk, I think (as a native NYer albeit a bit upstate) that Doc didn't get hammered, I think it was a good contrast.

I'm not sure if I've seen the NG one, I'll have to think about that. It is funny though, because when I was watching one of these Discovery shows, I think it was like ten deadliest martial arts, my girlfriend at the time just looked at me and was like wtf when they showed this one group... it was funny.
              practice wu de

Comment

No offense to anyone, but if I have to do backflips to inorder to defend myself, I'm in trouble.
                "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

they hardly do martial arts go to e-budo.com and you will find all you need to know about it

Ben Wallace

Comment

I do respect a lot of those guys as athletes, I can do without kiays, but whatever floats your boat I guess...

ZGstunts people are good too.
                    practice wu de

Comment

I have a feeling Ben was referring to Combat Ki and Rod Sacharnoski. Yes, E-budo has some pretty extensive coverage. But really, I remember just watching the Combat Ki segments on the Discovery specials and thinking those guys are total frauds.
                      -Jesse Pasleytm
                      "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about-- they were the best comedians I have ever seen.

Comment

OK...I have to also bring up the Yellow Bamboo Society...anyone familiar? They used to have video on their site, but it may have changed since I was there. It's right up there with combat Ki, but they don't even let the perp get close...Their training = a bunch of local Bali guys runing down the beach at you while you do the secret meditation, then you yell at them when they're lkike 20 feet away and they all fall paralyzed...Only works in Bali, tho, since it's tied to the land, so if you want to learn it will cost you
                          Mike Evans
                          Medford, NY

Comment

lol.......

Comment

Hahahahaha! How funny would that be to see?

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive:

The first video has some demo's of their ultimate self defense. they're long vids, but amusing...
                                Last edited by Mike Evans; 12-17-2004, 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
                                Mike Evans
                                Medford, NY

Comment

Working...
                                X