No announcement yet.

starting a school advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the head instructor in my school. It's not much but here's what I've learned from working for and with my Shrfu:

Start off being an assistant. Make sure you can teach different types of people; women, men, kids; visual learners, auditory learners, the "kinesthetically challenged". Make sure you enjoy teaching. Make sure you know your stuff. Read, research, train. Get involved with reputable MA organizations in your style.

This is hard to say but I'm being very realistic. Expect to work a full time job in addition to running your school - for sure in the beginning, and maybe for a long time - unless you're independently wealthy. It's hard to make a living at teaching martial arts in the US. Most everyone who will walk in the door to your studio will come to you with a "what can you do for me?" approach. They may not start out grateful for your knowledge, they may never be grateful - some people never get it. They'll want afterschool kids programs, belt rankings.... whatever, but be prepared to reach out to these people in some way to keep your doors open, while not compromising your system or your principles about martial arts.

And then, every once in a while you get the students that make it all worthwhile, the ones that train hard and love it, the ones that squeeze you for information about your system and application and theory and history. The ones who show up early and stay late and post on gongfu forums in thier spare time...
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

and if they've got a weed connection, well, even better.

Comment

and a big screen tv doesn't hurt any either.
        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Remember, the best schools are not necessarily the money makers.
          That needed to be said again...

Now, it isn't impossible to make money, but, it is difficult, especially in some areas, where you have somewhat saturated markets.
          practice wu de

Comment

include a water fountain near the floor........and a donut shop..........and a ........... one of those bookstores on h street. i hope i didnt leave anything out, oh yeah, include feminine products in the bathroom....advertise.
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
              That needed to be said again...

Now, it isn't impossible to make money, but, it is difficult, especially in some areas, where you have somewhat saturated markets.

no... just walk into the school, kick the teachers bootie and take over,...thats how my grea grea grea grea grea grea grea great great grandpa did it.
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
              X