shin splints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shin splints

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix the pain in my shins? Everyone in my kung fu class keeps says they'll go away eventually when I ask, but it's been nearly a year since I've been at this school and I swear they aren't getting any better. They hurt regardless even if I just touch my shins, but especially every time we do jumps (ie. kicks, arials, straight endurance building jumps, etc... whenever there's any impact on my legs), afterwards I feel like I can hardly walk. Anyone have any suggesions on what I can do?

nards, check out this thread...

marathon running

i didn't get around to posting again, but, in fact, i do have the tendency to run on the ball of my foot, which i prefer. although this may assist to induce chin splints, i feel there's less bouncing and greater balance that way.

anyhow, i read about a "trick" somewhere that helped. (i'm just curious to know whether or not the problem your currently having is a result of your shoes, since gongfu shoes often lack a lot of cushion and support.) what you want to do is isolate the tibialis anterior -- work it out. by simply standing up or laying down and pulling your toes toward your face...with only the use of that muscle...you will strengthen it. don't use your hands, just lift your toe, stretch it as much as possible toward your face or toward the sky, without touching it and without letting your heel leave the ground. do it a few times a day, go through sets, burn them out...

i started doing this before, occasionally when i had a break during my run, and after... that -- combined with a good pair of kicks -- did it.....

hope it helps you...
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I should have mentioned my shoes... That's what I had originally assumed it was. I wear Feiyues, which I just replaced with a new pair and I got a pair of the good sports gel insoles. I think they're Dr. Scholl's - they seemed like the best ones I could find. Neither the new shoes or the insoles have made any difference at all though.

Anyway, I had read something similiar to the trick you mentioned. I always tried to do them sitting down and would lift my toes. I have a question though - do you do it slow or hold your toes in the up position for a couple seconds or just do them repeatedly... what do you think is the most effective? Anyway, this does seem to help, but they still hurt like hell!

I also always stretch them which tends to help some. I typically prop my toes on the wall, like my foot angled up and push or do similar things that push the toes/balls of my feet up toward my shins stretching the tibialis anteriors. Also, I've tried stretching them the other way too by sitting on my knees Japanese style. I can really feel it like this. But it's the same thing, it might help a little bit, but they still kill me and always affect my performance.

Comment

well,i think the stretch u mentioned is very very important for those with leg issues. it really supports good leg flexabilty and keeps your knees agile. i'd do it a lot. if it stretches like crazy there's a reason: tightness, maybe? that stretch really shouldn't be too difficult. i think it should feel comfortable.

and i do keep my toes lifted for probably ten to 20 to 30 secs at a time. good point.

as for the kicks, some people need more padding than others. try stuff out to get the best fit...maybe try a pair of converse or addidas. training can be and often is brutal on the legs........... i've never worn feiyues but there wasn't really much to some of the one's i've worn in the past.... a good pair may go a long way; buying new one's is also key. some say every 500 miles, which could be 3 or 4 months.
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I don't think Nards is doing distance running in Fei Yue's. He said something about jumping and landing, which probably indicates he needs more padding anyway, so...this post is pointless.

Just be sure to stretch the agonist muscles as well, as a tight tibialis anterior might be alleviated by working with the gastrocnemius, or calf muscle.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Wearing Fei Yue's is only good for one thing. Gong fu. And they're hard on your body, especially if you weigh more than the typical (and little) Chinese gong fu practitioner.

It's purely a matter of weight, gravity, and cushioning. Modern running shoes have a good amount of cushioning material in their heels, which help absorb impact from running, jumping, etc. Fei Yue's have nothing. Run and jump in them, and you're going to put a lot of stress on your tibia's, stress which can cause microfractures in the bone. Painful little stress fractures which are difficult to see on x ray because of their size, but which can cause pain.

When I had the school here in Vegas, I had professional level floor mats, which helped minimized the trauma of wearing Fei Yues. They were expensive, but, I was concerned about people's health and safety, so the ten grand I spent was well worth it. Wearing Fei Yues on concrete, or, concrete covered by a rug, is going to result in the leg issues that you mention.

Either find a school that has good floor padding, find better shoes, stop the high impact activity, or suffer. With time and proper care, your legs will heal.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

well u can put a lot of miles on training forms, drills, sparring...and this is what i was implying. ma shoes get worn out quickly, no doubt, even faster than the average running sneak. and especially as a result of all the twisting and so forth that goes on.
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
              X