A "get to know doc" session...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "get to know doc" session...

Dear Dr. Russell, I just wanted to compliment you on your fabluous website and make a suggestion. I stumbled across you by accident. I was curious as to the Shoalin monk's training after watching "The Wheel of Life". Anyway, I started reading about your travels and became quite engaged. I did have a very difficult time finding all the journal entries as they are scattered throughout the site (It took me about a week to find them all). I highly suggest you consolidate that information under journals. Honestly, you need to write a book. With NYC, med school, Shoalin training and your continent hopping you may need two novels (with movie and third book options). You can see by the number of visitors to your site that curiosity is at an all time high and you have *lived* it. Sooooo many people wish to travel there and train and will never have the opportunity. What skills did you have before you went to Shoalin? What do you feel the greatest lesson/skill you have learned on your journey? And how *do* you get so much time off from work? I personally am entranced by the beauty of movements of Shoalin and the dedication of these artist. I'm considering taking a class. I've been doing yoga for about a year and a half and am extremely flexible. What's the next step? I would like to keep my flexibility but gain strength and learn some self defense. I've read a bit about Qi-Gong and like the sound of it, but wonder what other martial arts would best suit a woman? Do any women ever join you on your Doctours? Would it be productive for a novice to go? BTW what kind of doctor are you? What's your specialty? What does the F. in your name stand for? And lastly any massage parlors for chicks with the buff monks giving out rubs? (the martial monks, of course) Nice meeting you though your writing. Best of luck with your future training and quest.
    xxxx

Wow. Lots to talk about here. Let's take it one at a time.
    • As for consolidating all the journals, well, the whole site is presently a problem. I'm in the process of rehashing the entire site, reorganizing the Journals will be part of that rehash. But, I really can't move the journals from the Archive to the new forum, because of technical differences between the two programs. I really don't have the time to do any sort of script writing, so, I just reinstalled the old forum onto the new server, and made it an archive. The site has been going for a few years now, and unfortunately, there's just too much of it to consolidate.
    • The whole idea of writing a book has occurred to me, but, believe it or not, any book that I would write at this point in my life would not have anything to do with my Shaolin travels. There's actually a whole world of shit that I could write about, from experiences over the past twelve years, that would make an incredible book. But, finding the time is yet another story. The Shaolin aspect of my life is just a small part of my recent life experiences. Though, with all the information on the site, I've been told from many people that I could just shut the site down and make a book out of it. I really have no desire to do such a thing though. It's kind of against the whole premise of why I started the site in the first place.
    • "What skills did you have before you went to Shoalin?" The skills that I had before I first went to Shaolin consisted of about eight years of kempo karate training; I was preparing for my second degree black belt when other life events ended that quest. I also had some Judo training.
    • "What do you feel the greatest lesson/skill you have learned on your journey?" Now, I could write a book about that....
    • "And how *do* you get so much time off from work?" I have prematurely retired from my medical practice, due to injuries suffered in a car accident many years ago. The story behind that is worthy of a book....
    • "What other martial arts would best suit a woman?" They all do. I really don't see any reason why a woman should be restricted from doing anything that a man could do. Oh, well, with some exceptions, you guys are created a little differently from us you know...
    • "Do any women ever join you on your Doctours?" Woman have joined me on my docTours. But not many. As I've written before, somewhere, it's been my experience that women don't exactly have the best time training in Shaolin. It's not a very comfortable experience. But, it is getting better. Years ago, when training in the wushu guan, it was pretty horrible, in a fun kind of way. Now, the hotels in Dengfeng are a lot more comfortable, and the whole experience is a much better, though different, one. I do kind of miss the old days, huddling around a light bulb to keep warm...
    • As for having martial arts training before you go to Shaolin, it's recommended but not necessary. A novice might not get as much out of it, but, it would still be a great experience.
    • "BTW what kind of doctor are you? What's your specialty?" My specialty was two fold actually, I was board certified in Critical Care Medicine (Intensive Care) and in Anesthesiology. I've had a lot of Emergency Medicine experience also, with some surgical training. My experience was varied, from ER doctor, to paramedic instructor, to anesthesiologist and intensive care consultant. I also had a lot of administrative experience, being chief of anesthesiology in Las Vegas for over eight years in various institutions, to being CEO of a medical management corporation. Oh, and I used to drive a cab and a paramedic ambulance in New York, on top of working in some of the nastiest, most dangerous Emergency Rooms in the worst parts of New York City.
    • "What does the F. in your name stand for?" Maybe I could write another book about that?
    • "And lastly any massage parlors for chicks with the buff monks giving out rubs?" Can't help you with massage parlors in China that employ buff monks. But, I will say this, I, the semi-buff one, am famed for my massages in church. The spines they be tingling when I pray. But, that's another book.

Sounds like you need to go to China and experience it for yourself. Or at least, find a good local instructor to start your own journey. China is truly a great trip, even if you get sick. My fourteenth is probably coming up in August. Hope it's not like the thirteenth...

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

More on "book writing..."

Lol, thanks for all the breast analysis...

So what do you think would make a larger book. One on your life, or one on your women...

Still tryin to work out on which subject I can always expect more of a
    comprehensive explanation on, medical advice or the female anatomy..
    xxxx

Either one would end up being a travesty and a tragedy. But, very humorous nonetheless. I'll let you know when I start typing...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Book

You better have started writing the book or I will tell everyone what the "F" stands for.
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

I started, I started. The things I have to do to protect myself. The F, the origins of russbo, stories of my latest honey, oh, the things that people want to know. There's just no peace or rest for me, alas...

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X