Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boredom:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boredom is a reactive state of emotion that interprets the condition of one's environment as wearingly dull due to repetitive, non-existent or tedious stimuli. Boredom stems from a lack of interesting things to see, hear, or do (physically or intellectually) when not in the mood of "doing anything." Often it is a clearly subjective state; one person may find economics "boring," for example, while another may find it riveting.

Those afflicted with temporary boredom may regard the affliction as a waste of time, but usually characterize boredom as far worse. Alternatively, one may have the feeling that having too much spare time causes boredom. Indeed, time often appears to move more slowly to someone who experiences boredom, resulting from the way in which the human mind measures the passage of time and by the infrequency of notable events. Boredom can also occur as a symptom of clinical depression and may lead to impulsive (and sometimes excessive) actions that serve little purpose and could damage one's self interest. For example, studies in behavioral finance have shown that stock traders can enter into "overtrading" (buying or selling even without any objective reason to do so) simply because they feel bored when they have nothing "productive" to do.

Boredom can come from a lack of interest in a topic. This could result in a neuroreaction, in which case the mind wavers from the topic and into a subconcious thought. The brain will automatically go into a state, exempt from the objects around, but more focused on the matter in the "dream" state of mind. Boredom is similar to daydreaming, in a sense, because in both cases, the person thinks of an imaginable thought. In the case of boredom, however, the person's imagination takes over subconciously to pursue a more enjoyable thought. Often when one is bored, they invent things to solve this boredom, productive or not.

Hmmm.... What else can I look up!?!

Comment

Well, I haven't gotten a call or SMS from our little Aussie nightmare today. First time in months. I guess I finally banned all the IP addresses that she haunts, and she gave up.

Time to celebrate. More photoshop creations (I have one planned, but I leave for the Philippines...)
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

can't access Wikipedia in china. strange.

anyhow....it's interesting to me that according to the one example you can stay up for thirty hours and "run out" of zorch.... wonder if it happens often...?
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
          can't access Wikipedia in china. strange.
          Blocked by The Great Firewall of China. They don't want you to know everything.
          I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
          "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
          "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
          "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

yeah..it's logical. just imagine if all the "common people" practiced zorching. what kind of a china would it become?
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
            X