No announcement yet.

religious differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the original statement, it is sad that there are not too many schools that teach both the physical and spiritual side of martial arts. Both are very important and both balance each other. A strong inner strength is very important and just as important as muscle strength.

Comment

Getting spirituality in the martial arts can be non-denominational...
      practice wu de

Comment

I think, you should be able to learn shaolin without the religion being forced on you, no question. But i still think that with or without accepting the religion, you should at least acknowlege the contribution that Buddhism has made in your life should you benefit from it. I think it would be ignorant, if not just egoistic to pretend otherwise just because your pastor says so.

Comment

In the "Internal" Martial Arts, we focus a lot on developing an awareness for the whole body and being able to feel the body in whatever we do.

In my understanding this is highly spiritual and definitely the vehicle in which to develop both physically and psychologically, so that we can actually be more complete human beings. I think this is important for all martial arts and it is definitely what Buddhism was always based on.

The Buddhist teaching constantly talk about mindfulness or awareness, and this is very non-sectarian. I, myself, do not consider me to be Buddhist even if I may use "Buddhist" techniques. There are many breathing methods and meditation and even neigong that can be used and practice without having to become Buddhist or Taoist or Hindu.

Some people like the religious tradition as well, which is fine just as long as you don't get caught up in it. People who are caught up in their religions tend to be very empty with little to no spiritual understanding whatsoever. I would like to think that all of us here probably have known someone like that ourselves, maybe it was one of us.

The most important thing is to practice and live your life according the standards you set for yourself, particularly if you are going to preach them to others. What good is a religion if all it does is spread fear and hate in the world?!?!
          "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Not good at all, Fa Hui, not good at all.

*rides off into the sunset*

That would be the best ending to a movie, ever. But I think it's been done.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

How 70's of you.
              "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

Haha, when I first read that I thought you were talking about Scary Movie...but now that I see, it is indeed.

Do you feel lucky, punk? *squints*
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Lucky enough to poke ya in the eye.

Always wanted to do that when that was said.

lol

Comment

Working...
                  X