da mo yuan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch'an Schools

The Five Houses (or schools) arose almost quite naturally from the fertile spiritual ground of China's Tang and Song dynasties. There were more schools than just these five. Why these five schools gained prominence throughout history is not generally known; however, it was probably a combination of accessibility, preference, and whatever the hell suits you the most.

The Five Houses as we know them today are: Guiyang, Linji, Caodong, Yunmen, and Fayan.

Guiyang- this school is a combination of teachings from two masters; Master Guishan and Master Yangshan, master and disciple respectively. They taught Chan with a kind of mystic quality; using symbols and such. This school only lasted a few generations and eventually died out.

Linji- this school is todays most prominent Chan school. In China, Vietnam, Japan, and Korea this school is so prominent that to be a Linji monk (or nun) means mostly just to be a Buddhist monk (or nun). I have always been in the Linji school; even though I've always prefered Yunmen. This school emphasizes the use of gongans (koans) as they're main practice of meditation. Also the Teachings of Master Linji himself are highly regarded, you can find a translation of the Linjilu or Record of Linji on barnesandnoble.com, his teachings are strong and soft.

Caodong- this school is the second most prominent school of Chan today. It is more preserved in it's Japanese form called Soto. This school empasizes mostly a style of sitting meditation called Silent Illumination. The name of the school is composed of the names of two masters, Master Dongshan and Master Caoshan, once again Master and disciple respectively. I have read the Record of Dongshan and much of the literature of this school. There are many beautiful and graceful elements to this school. It is probably the most gentle of all the Chan schools.

Yunmen- this school is named after one of the last (if not the last) Great Chan Masters of the Classical Age. His teachings are considered extremely harsh. Well-known for his "One-word barrier," this teaching is known to be very difficult to grasp, even though it doesn't seem so hard to me; but that's besides the point. There are some rumors that this school has continued to this date; however it is generally thought to have died out. There is a translation of his record however; and you can find that out Barnesandnoble.com as well.

Fayan- is the last of the Five Houses. This school is generally thought to be the most literary of the five. Master Fayan was and is considered to have been the progenitor of the Literary Period of Chinese Chan or Zen.

Just to briefly note that there are two types of transmission within China. One is Precept Transmission and the other is Dharma Transmission. The two are entirely different, but not unrelated. When you recieve the Bhikshu Precepts or full ordination you are given a name with three part, ex: Shi Fa Xing. Shi, like Arhat said, is kind of the family name. Fa is the generational name, it means Dharma and comes from the Linji school. Xing is the name given to me by my master recognizing that I am of this particular characteristic or something he would like to see me develop. It means Action or Practice.

Dharma Transmission means that you are of a certain level in your practice or have studied under a certain Master. Thus you can be transmitted the precepts in the Linji school but receive the Dharma from the Caodong school. Or vice versa. this is the reason being for all of the confusion concerning the Chinese tradition within the West. Most of the schools have also rejected a lot of study and thus few really know the history or the written teaching more than what they here word of mouth. Much of the Chinese tradition has been in shambles in the recent 100 yrs. However, there has been a slow revival starting from the Great modern day Chinese Chan Master Xu Yun. He died in the middle of last century but has been slowly (I mean that too) gaining prominence and his disciples (or disciples' disciples are beginning to teach in the West. You may like to check a couple sites hsuyun.org and hsuyun.com

Take care

Comment

if I understood well: the 5 familly are to chan budhdism what dialect are to language?
      martial way is mine, death one is yours
      call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

I'm not sure if the 5 Ch'an Families at Shaolin overlap completely with the sects that Fa Hui posted, as I have them being different.
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Most interesting! I didn't realize that different sects resided within the same monastery or temple. Thank you, gentlemen.

Comment

NAMES

A bit off…but on the topic of names:

There is a stele at Shaolin commemorating the 13 monks who rescued Emperor Li Shimen during the Tang Dynasty.
            Does any one know the names of the 13 monks?

Tan Zong was made a general at Li's court
            Shan Hu was promoted to Abbot,
            Zhi Cao was made in charge of monastery affairs,
            Hui Chang was promoted to the position of Director of Worship,

The remainder received citations for meritorious service:
            Shan Hui,
            Ming Yue,
            Pu Sheng,
            Zhi Shou,
            Dao Guang,
            Zhi Xing,
            Man Feng,

This adds up to 11, I'm 2 monks shy.

Comment

for the other sect than CAO DONG, they all begin by SHI ?
              call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

a few things, the cao dong secte is the one which count the more monk or not?
                how do we know from which secte they are, for exemple, if Shi de yang is from I forgot which secte, but we call him shi DE yang, he is from the 32 generation even of he is not in the same secte?
                what is the difference between thhese 5 secte?

Comment

aaaah ok I understood ...I think.
                  Every monk of every secte have generation name from the fu yu poem, but it is just that they are from a secte that have only a spirit importance, ,ot for the name, so the secte dont change the name... Am I right?

Comment

the 5 sectes or families are: Cao dong

Linji

Xui Ting

Yun Men

Wei Yun

OR ARE THEY like "brother darma action" said:

Guiyang

Linji

Caodong

Yunmen

Fayan

???

sorry for all the question I ask in just one thread of this forum, just interested

Comment

5 Fams

The 5 branches Fa Hui listed are for the greater world of Ch'an. Within Shaolin temple itself, the families are/were as I listed them, unless we are using two names for the same school. There are many many sects, probably Fa Hui's list represents those 5 that rose to prominence.

I am not sure about the doctrinal differences between them, beyond what Fa Hui listed. It's not something that gets dwelled on in our instruction, but we do have an interesting scroll which depicts Damo's crossing of the Yang Tze, and his reed has five branches (to stand for the 5 families) and the branch culminates in a flower, symbolizing the end result of practice, no matter your method.

Every monk or disciple, once they take the Gui Yi Fo, Fa, Sen vows (taking refuge vows but with a twist) enters into the greater family of monks and disciples, who take their family name from Shijiamuni- Sakyamuni. So everyone takes 'Shi' as their last name, irrespective of which Ch'an family you are part of. Now, if your master is Cao Dong, then you are a member of Fu Yu's lineage. He wrote the poem from which Cao Dong monks at Shaolin take their generation name. The only way to tell if a monk is Cao Dong, is to know the poem. If you are not in the Cao Dong family, then you do not take your generation name from the Cao Dong poem. Such is the case with Shi Wan Heng. "Wan" is not a word in the Cao Dong poem. But it is safe to say that most of the monks today, and with Yong Xin I would say very soon all the monks, will be of this lineage, but how Cao Dong it is beyond the name I don't know. Many don't even know much about Ch'an, since they have to learn about Buddhism in Beijing as opposed to learning it from the masters in Shaolin.

RJW- I am not sure where, but I do recall coming across the 13 names. I'll have to look around.
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

ok ok, but all monk from any secte have name beginning with shi, then have a word from their secte's generation, then their name...right?
                        where can I find the generation name of other secte?

Comment

I am not aware of any other family adopting a naming convention using a poem, like Cao Dong does. I don't know if other sects use a poem convention to denote generation or not, and I would wager that that info is not commonly available through a google search or something. Normally your place in a generation is just listed out in a family tree type of thing. Like Damo is the 26th patriarch of dharma transmission from Mahakasyapa, but number one in China, then his disciple Hui Ke, and so on...as far as I know.
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

cao dong are the most famous in shaolin?

Comment

ah yes one last thing, cao dong is the generation from damo 's lineage

Comment

Well, they're all from Damo's tradition. At least according to tradition.

The Linji School also uses the poem. Most monks in China have the generation name Chuan, Fa, or Yin. I don't know the poem or the names before Chuan. It has always seemed to be information that was difficult to locate; at least for Westeners.
                                "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X