Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shi Xing Hong: so what is up with trying to standardize shaolin... (Ego)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, from what i've read, the wahnman crowd were in most ways basically the same as BL. that is, deluded, self-assured and arrogant when questioned.

lolo That was great!

Comment

Has anyone seen Deyang lately?

Comment

I saw DeYang about 3 months ago in Deng Feng, spent a little time with him, seemed really well phisically (there were rumors of illness a while ago but he seemed more than 100% to me) and a very gracious host.
        Unfortunately he appears to be somewhat estranged from the temple (due to the abbot issues talked on this site elsewhere).
        Sadly his school, due to his admirable lack of interest in profit (he takes in poor students basically for free) and due to the less-admirable lack of support from the temple, is one of the most run-down in the area.
        Which is kind of telling of a lot of good and bad things ... the best traditional master (or at least one of the best few) has the ... crappiest school, no other way to describe it. I don't refer to the students standards, but to the crumbling building, zero hygene, terrible facilities, non-existant or extremely poor equipment, etc.
        Having had the fortune to briefly train with him in 1999 and meet him again this year I still view him as one of the few last real Shaolin Ch'an and Wu Masters.

W

Comment

Wall, very true. Very well said.

And you find the same thing in America. The ones who are genuinely interested in teaching, teach; the ones that are genuinely interested in making money, make money.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

You know I was browsing around netflix and I found a whole series of instructional movies by Deyang. Anyone know about this?

Comment

Hey Doc did you get my email?

W

Comment

wall what about those vids with all the clowning around- last I saw him he was actually thinking of getting behind this standardization...

those vids broke my heart a little, because when we went to visit his school just after the relocation it was probably one of the most touching experiences of my entire life.

I never knew anyone could pack so much meaning into a few bottles of water and some planted flowers. The guy was just a poem. Only way to describe it.

A few people mentioned to me he was not looking well, was sick, or something, but last time I saw him he was spry as ever, very tight, and was training.
                "Arhat, I am your father..."
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

He hadn't been feeling well for a while, the last time I saw him. Stopped training and such. I'm glad he's feeling better; I'll try to visit with him if I go back there.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

If you're wondering what this thread is REALLY about, as I think Arhat meant it to be, you might want to read this post, from the Journals area.

russbo.com

Comment

you might be able to add jealousy.
                      "Arhat, I am your father..."
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

care to elaborate?

russbo.com

Comment

Weird how things have changed since then.
                          practice wu de

Comment

Lol .....

Comment

Originally posted by wall
                              I saw DeYang about 3 months ago in Deng Feng, spent a little time with him, seemed really well phisically (there were rumors of illness a while ago but he seemed more than 100% to me) and a very gracious host.
                              Unfortunately he appears to be somewhat estranged from the temple (due to the abbot issues talked on this site elsewhere).
                              Sadly his school, due to his admirable lack of interest in profit (he takes in poor students basically for free) and due to the less-admirable lack of support from the temple, is one of the most run-down in the area.
                              Which is kind of telling of a lot of good and bad things ... the best traditional master (or at least one of the best few) has the ... crappiest school, no other way to describe it. I don't refer to the students standards, but to the crumbling building, zero hygene, terrible facilities, non-existant or extremely poor equipment, etc.
                              Having had the fortune to briefly train with him in 1999 and meet him again this year I still view him as one of the few last real Shaolin Ch'an and Wu Masters.

W

I did actually log off for some moments but being that Deyang is the shifu of my first shaolin disciple shifu... aaand as a buddhist appreciating his work and presence in my martial and spiritual life, and wih knowledge of him out there taking care of and protecting the last of the temple scrolls holding the doctrine we buddhists all supposedly live and die by...... and then knowing he doesn't even have support from the now some harshyly somewhat prc overseen temple kind and it's benifits and donation cut etc, found this post and the thought of him fading away out there slightly nawing.....

I've never actually met De Yang myself, and not even when I was out at Deng Feng / Songshan and between temples, but I did catch a quick interview on the national geographc doco lately and also had a look at him perfom some instruction and forms of his own at what is a very humble little school.. If you've ever seen the man's gongfu yourself and've had opportunity to compare it and his teaching to what else is around , it becomes extremely apparent quite quickly why Deyang has such a highly respected reputation for holding some of the best gongfu knowledge that shaolin has to offer today.
                              Wiith recent illness , tight budgets, free lessons , minimial needing already small hard working and lean body and another extremely cold winter coming around ...... not ever wanting to be without my own gongfu and opportunity to learn more myself & from the old school such as himself, it'd be nice to see the man get some get some support!
                              I'll be heading out there as soon as I can manage myself, but if any one would like to offer a donation to assist in preserving the generation and keeping him there and teaching for us all , I'm sure no matter how small, will definately not go astray.

I don't really have a target figure in mind, but I'm sure just a few dollars in support from us here for him, his school and those free stayer less privildged gongfu dedicant students of his he takes in, to float on would ease a very hard life toward something the majority of us appreciate so much. I have no idea how to swing this except via a "western Union " international money transfer arranged by Email to Wang YuMin at CITS ( WangYuMin88@hotmail.com) , unless Doc has a way to fwd funds so they'll end up where meant and with that mind please do spare a thought ....

cheers, apology for the long post and happy practice to you all .

BtL
                              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 09-10-2005, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Doc can get him funds directly. Doc has his personal bank account information (I've wired him money in the past). Also, doc might be seeing him soon.

Doc isn't sure though.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X