Tong Bei Quan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortal-

My experience and skill was questioned on here when there wasn't even a video of me to pick at. That's ridiculous. So, I went ahead and made ridiculous statements about ZLP. At least we had a video to go on. I had things I specifically pointed out. And people replied with you must not be experienced, I doubt your skill, things like that. That was just from my words. So, why can't I doubt his skill? I at least had a video to go on. But words and video speak very little about actual skill. That's why I said they are both ridiculous. But I only started after my skill was questioned.

I didn't say you aren't experienced at kicking. How do I know? But you questioned my fighting experience as well as ability just from reading my words. Well, words are all I've seen from you. So, it's fair enough for me to question you as well. But it's both ridiculous, right? Words alone show very little about actual skill. I also know no one would say this to my face.

Comment

I would. Especially if it were true.

Even if you were 30 and 0 against real fighters. You shouldn't have posted it. It makes you look like a bragging know it all. Not a seasoned master from China.

Let me ask you. Do you think the monks have good kungfu?

Comment

Alrighty, this thread has cahsed its tail for long enough...see you guys on the next potentially interesting board...

Comment

Well, that's my record, unprofessionally. Even if it wasn't true, the reason for posting it was to show how ridiculous the arguement is and that it really doesn't matter what my record is. I could be 400 and 0 or I could be 0 and 400, but this doesn't change experience. It just makes the experience, more or less. It's ridiculous to bring up anyhow. And who brought up my experience and skill? Not me....

Do the monks have good Gong Fu? Well, their forms and power, speed, technique, Qi Gong.. it's all amazingly well. I haven't seen a better group of people. But as far as fighting, I don't know. I haven't seen them fight but I have read about records such as Shi Yan Zi winning a tournament after just his first 3 months of training defeating a 5 year practicioner. And then going on to become champion in 12 other tournaments or so. So, that's proof that at least he can apply his stuff. I don't know about the other guys because I haven't seen them fight. But I wouldn't doubt it over their mastery of mind and body. I'd really like to see a monk tournament though. That would be the most watched tournament in the world.

Comment

Just the fact that you use the word chamber makes me think that your experience is limited. Only suburban kempo guys say stuff like that. Bottom line is, if you ever saw Lipeng do any kind of full power movement, you would give up that teaching gig, move to Jersey and study with him full time. The guy has sick kung fu. And this whole thing about the usefulness of a slap kick. I hate to tell you but the techniques done in the forms are not meant to be followed exactly in fighting. The forms train body mechanics for generating maximum power. Shaolin fighting kicks are done differently. The mechanics are very different then the way they are done in the form. In fact they are not in the forms at all. Outside kick, inside kick, front kick, front slap kick, etc. are used to train the legs to move in a full range of motion, with speed and elasticity. They are not the way you would use a kick in fighting at all. There is a great article by Yanming about shaolin fighting kicks and you can read it on shaolinwolf.com

Just because you have been teaching for years does mean you know anything. Most real teachers claim to know nothing.

Comment

Xing- The video makes him look weak.

Gonin- He's good in real life.

THE END.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

best post so far.

ok, bye really this time.

Comment

Now you're just being silly. Chamber is the word for bending your leg before and after a kick. What else am I supposed to say for that, "bending your leg before and after a kick"? No, say chamber. It's a word. Words like that don't go with styles of martial arts. That was silly of you to say that.

You have never seen me do a full power technique. You've never seen me do any technique. So you have no idea what the heck you're talking about. "Give up that teaching gig and go train with ZLP"? Shut the hell up....

If combat kicks aren't used in forms then why the hell did ZLP do a back kick using his toes as well? Isn't that for combat meant to push them even more?

You know nothing of what you speak. Perhaps you're the one who should keep training and try to learn something. And at the same time perhaps you could gain some intelligence and respect. You have no idea who you're talking to and what you're talking about.

Comment

I think I recall saying, "THE END".
                    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

How the hell do you do a pine tree?

Comment

Da tongbei quan

I ended up on this old thread on Tongbei while I was looking for a video of the xiao Tongbei Quan, which I can't find on the internet.

I thought someone might want to see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cpHr4v_WAk
                        video of Shi De Ding performing Da Tongbei Quan when he was in Belgium somewhere end of the eighties.

And if you know of some video to see the xiao Tongbei Quan, I'd love to see it because this form is in the Tagou text book and in Shi de Qian encyclopedia but both versions seem to difer quite a bit. Or anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject want to explain....

Comment

There is a Da Tongbei and a Xiao Tongbei Chuan? News to me.

Or is the "xiao" version, an abbreviated version (of an already short form) that someone has taught to foreigners?
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                          russbo.com

Comment

The link posted above is the Da Tong Bei form. I don't think it is an abbreviated version, at least I was never told it is. The Xiao Tong Bei forms are different altogether. Here is a link on of Shi De Yang performing roads 1-3 on Youtube. I guess they aren't widely taught though.

http://http://youtube.com/watch?v=NtS5aZUgzfA

Comment

I'll ask Decheng about this. I wasn't aware that there were two versions of TongBei. I'll see what I can find out.
                              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                              russbo.com

Comment

The diference between Da and Xiao Tongbei is significant and the xiao isn't an abreviated version of the Da Tongbei, it's actually longer than the Da Tongbei Quan. But there seems to be noone who practices both.

The Da Tongbei focuses more on fists while the Xiao form uses more open hand techniques likes palm strikes and uses smaller postures, hence the xiao (small) name. Make sense in that way to pratice various forms, focusing on diferent use of hands in diferent forms.

I've been practicing Da Tongbei for about 7 or 8 years now, so I kinda know that one. I still love the form and find it very practical in combat once you understand all the movements. I also learned the Xiao Tongbei Quan about a year ago in a version similar to how it is portrayed in the Tagou handbook.

But recently I bought the Encyclopedia by Shi De Qian and was looking at the forms in there and noticed that the version in there is quite diferent from the one in the Tagou handbook.

So as always that raised the question of finding out which version would be
                                more original. Maybe both are good in their way but I'd like to know what other people think.

I suppose Shi De Qian would know......

Thanks Doc if you can ask De Cheng about it.

And the link to youtube doesn't work, at least on my computer....

Comment

Working...
                                X