Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipeng International Tournament this Saturday and Sunday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try this one guys

Comment

Good to see some pictures of that event.. nice pic of the cheesesteak.
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

yo nice pics

meattosser, i was there. i was the 6'3 white guy with the houston schools. did you compete too?

yo, mark.....nice photos....i'll have to get nate to post his when he develops them. i've got some too that i can post soon. i had a great time hanging out with you guys.....i'll have to look you up when i get back down to houston.

mortal you sound like you got burned.....sorry to hear that. are you still training?

-kungfud0rk

Comment

Ha, Kungfudork, you were with the Houston School? Dieter Wagner?

And to mark Wong, nice pictures man, yeah I saw you there, you got real good speed man, I don't know if you saw me, I wasn't competing, but I was that one short mexican dude with the blue anchor blue shirt and the video camcorder; I even stayed at the same hotel you guys stayed at; (I was a few rooms across, with the students from the Syracuse, NY gongfu school) Josh A. was the only one who competed in forms within our group. Well, Mike Walter also did a demo though, he's the one who broke those bricks and bottles.

Yeah, it DID suck that we weren't allowed to record the Masters' Demo, I came 3,000 miles from Southern California and I wasn't able to record some of the best parts. I guess maybe because Gene Ching might end up putting it on DVD or something, and they probably didn't want so-called "bootleg" versions of the video popping out afterwards. I wouldn't have sold it or anything, but I guess they can't risk trusting everyone like that. Oh yeah, and Mark, is your Sifu XingYing or Yan Feng? And have you had a chance to train with Shi DeShan? How about Shi XingHao?

Oh yeah, and to Mortal, you used to train with Li Peng? What happened? He wasn't teaching Traditional gongfu with you? I know not all monks teach traditional gongfu, but I had figured that Li Peng did teach the traditional stuff, with plenty of fighting techniques/principles.
          Last edited by meattosser; 07-28-2004, 06:09 AM.
          a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

Nice photos. I'd been wondering what had happened to Yan Shang after he left STUK. Never crossed my mind that he went over to the states.

Kinda nice to see him in that photo - means he still exists
            Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

hey dieter ...wuts going on??...wen do u plan to come bak down to houston??
              nate post on here too??

meattosser....thanx for da comments....i think i saw u...probably did;...wasnt that many people..so yeah.....my current shifu is yan feng........wen i first joined...it was xing hao and de shan teaching....i didnt get to really know xing hao though...he left bout 6 months later and xing ying came..and i started to train really hard with him..and then he left..and then yan feng came...and i had been training with him ever since he came which was around decemeber of 2003 and around fem/march of this month he left de shan and i followed him

Comment

Ha, okay then cool. But why did Xing Hao and Deshan and Xing Ying all separate though? Did they feel that there were too many teachers in one school or what?
                a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

I have no experiance with them. But the other monks I have met, have ego's that are way to big to fit in one room. One of the many bull**** paradoxes of chan I guess.

Comment

well can you blame them, really? they're practically worshipped everywhere they go by shaolin devotees.

it's easy for anyone who's big in MA to develop a big head along with it. i doubt that monks are immune to this.

Comment

They are not good fighters. They are good at forms. That is it. Maybe here and there one of them could fight. In general they are just about forms. If you ask about fighting they throw you out of the school. lol Or they get real defensive. If shaolin is not really about fighting why don't they just admit it?

Comment

I have seen Shi Xing Wei kinda mad, he does not really have a mean bone in his body, but I would never want to see him in a real fight. It would be over very quickly, fastest hands and hardest kicks from anyone I know of.
                        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

well, what we call "not really about fighting", they may call, "about much more than fighting". in all fairness, they're not the ones that created the myth of the Badass Shaolin Monk, we are (along with some hong kong film producers). not that they especially mind the title. but is it really their fault if they don't fill the roles we write for them?

Comment

Jesus Christ mortal. First you praise the monks that you train with then you diss em. First Yanming, HengXing, now Lipeng?? Maybe you're the one with the problems...

Comment

it seems to me for one reason or another, shaolin really lost alot of its prestige, i dont think its because the 'traditonal' techniques etc are ****ty and whatnot, i mean..nowadays, you have practitioners who cant even use kung fu techniques in sparring..

while in comparison, in the past you have people like wong fei hung beating everyones ass.. stories of shaolin monks driving japanese out of taiwan or saving emperor li shimin etc etc

i dont think shaolin is the problem, i dont think its fair to blame the monks either, they just do what they are told and they make their own choices..maybe someday shaolin will be restored back to its original standard..

either way i dont think talking **** about the monks on internet forums is a positive thing..for anyone

amitabha
                              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro
                                it seems to me for one reason or another, shaolin really lost alot of its prestige, i dont think its because the 'traditonal' techniques etc are ****ty and whatnot, i mean..nowadays, you have practitioners who cant even use kung fu techniques in sparring..
                                well maestro, i think i good reason for that may be, were someone to actually use gongfu techniques in 'sparring', it could have certain results that people aren't looking for when they enter a sparring match, such as hospital bills and assault charges...

but even though that may be true, it's still a cop-out answer. "i just get my ass kicked in sparring because if i showed you my true techniques you'd be dead"... yeah.

anyway, stories like the ones you mention are a dime a dozen, and i would say that, while insulting monks' abilities might not be good for anyone, repeating old stories about how great gongfu used to be isn't really helping anyone either. one thing that we have to consider is that gongfu was and is so popular in china that it doesn't really make sense to point to specific stories as vindication.

in other words, wong fei hung may well have been a spectacular fighter... but there were also millions of other chinese that weren't. it's not so much of a stretch to think that one out of a few million people would happen to be an incredible fighter, with or without a deadly fighting system behind him.

Comment

Working...
                                X