Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipeng International Tournament this Saturday and Sunday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well there is really only one way to see if they are really fighters.

so far, it would seem that there aren't too many people who rock that kind of set to find out.

everything else is just conjecture.

speaking for myself, I have absolutely no doubt of some of their fighting abilities, but I only know a couple. I have never had my bell rung like they ring.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Well, David Ross of Lama style fame posted in Kungfu mag forums a couple of months ago and said he sent a challenge letter to Yan Ming, but Yan Ming said he didn't want to fight and threatened to get a restraining order.

Is there any thruth to that? How is he able to claim this openly in a public forum?

Comment

Originally posted by emre
        Well, David Ross of Lama style fame posted in Kungfu mag forums a couple of months ago and said he sent a challenge letter to Yan Ming, but Yan Ming said he didn't want to fight and threatened to get a restraining order.

Is there any thruth to that? How is he able to claim this openly in a public forum?
        I sincerely doubt that Shi Yan Ming would threaten to get a restraining order. First of all, you can't just get a restraining order. You have to go to court, you have to call the police. I mean, that just sounds completely out of his realm, if you follow me...I'd be amazed if those terms ever came out of his mouth.

Especially since he has an open challenge, in print and online. In fact, he just told me he wanted to buy WKK a plane ticket to NYC. He seemed to relish the idea of YX trying to pull something on him in China, and even had the set to go see him, dropping in for a visit.

I don't know who David Ross is, but people can claim many things, especially online...where is the guy located?
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

David Ross runs a kickboxing/Sanshou school in Manhattan. He used to be a disciple of Chan Tai-San if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the thread. Read for yourself.

This is the guy's website.
          Last edited by emre; 07-30-2004, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Mortal, but you didn't answer my questions on Li Peng specifically. Did you train with him extensively? He didn't teach you any good basics during that time? No energy/chi kung training? No palm conditioning? No reaction drills?

Zachsan said: "...well, correct me if i'm wrong, they don't really call themselves warrior monks. in the states, they don't really need to advertise themselves as much more than "shaolin monks".

Actually, they DO state their "warrior" status. Check Yan Ming's website, Li Peng's, or Shi Xing Hao's website. They ALL clearly state that they are WARROR/FIGHTING monks.

As for Modern Wushu in general, well, it shouldn't even be called "Wushu". So many people see modern Wushu and they think that's real fighting kungfu. The movies' tendency to use 'trendy' Modern Wushu techniques just makes the situation worse. People are getting it twisted way too often. Why is it even still called "Wushu"? Wushu literally means WAR ART or ART OF WAR. I figure it'd be so much easier to just call it gymnastics or acrobatics. It's not a martial art, because it isn't exactly very "martial". Just makes things more confusing, don't ya think? Traditional chinese boxing deserves to be called Wushu, because it's clearly "martial". Chuan Fa, Wushu, Wu-Yi, Kuoshu, any of these names are valid for a fighting art, but ONLY if it's a fighting art. Common logic. I mean, I don't have anything against Modern Wushu, but it shouldn't be called "martial" art, because in all honesty, it ain't very "martial".

P.S. Doc, so no more traditional gongfu from DeYang then? He's given it up?
            a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

well Em, I cruised through the thread, and I have a hard time believing all that hot air. Maybe it is just me, but people who go on and on about that kind of stuff are usually overcompensating. Just looking at it, it just seemed like he was trying to pick up students and chat room slap some little kids. People who are serious about this kind of stuff usually keep the bragging to a minimum. This guy is blowing himself up all over the place. I mean, I saw some of his pictures and...well...I think to issue a formal challenge is a very respectful process, and this guy doesn't seem to reflect that.

But how would we ever know, unless he came down- it's just his word, meanwhile we have an open challenge from SYM that is *printed* in a MA mag.

I can tell you at least some of the stuff he is saying is not true- at least regarding SYM...some of this was actually from another thread over there that I scrolled through before you posted the links. If I remember I will ask him directly if he knows who this guy is.

He made some comment about monks not being able to chant...? I know SYM knows (at least) several sutras by heart, I've heard him recite sutras, other monks have consulted him on some, he has even expressed a small degree of pride in the fact he knows more than a few by heart and "I don't need books." I guess one who is very skeptical could say he was just muttering stuff in Chinese but he has been trying to teach us them, lol...I think it's a little insulting to request a monk to chant on command. I would have a hard time believing any of them would do that. Just because someone doesn't chant for you when you ask and concluding from that they can't chant is a logical fallacy. I would never go to my priest and start demanding him to say Pater Nosters.

It also sounds extremely out of character for SYM to verbally diss other teachers, other schools, in public. In all the time I have trained there, I have never heard him say anything negative about other teachers or schools except for a story that was witnessed- when he first set up in Chinatown, several local masters came to the temple to lay out some 'ground rules.' Shi Yan Ming said he would teach what he wanted and how, and if anyone wanted to try and shut him down for teaching the way he wanted and to who, the first guy who touched him would be the first one who dropped. They all shuffled out the door.

When was this so called challenge card written, and how does he even know SYM got it? If he is following the challenge program it is supposed to be delivered by hand if memory serves me. But then he says SYM ran scared (so he did go down to the temple?) and called the police to get a restraining order? Well the cops don't issue restraining orders, a court does. For a court to do that, there has to be an arrest or police involvement...sorry man but this does not add up as it is presented.

For him to call out a school by name? I find that to be a stretch.

You don't buy your discipleship at USAST. There is a customary red envelope gift, but it can be anything. Some people gave a book. One disciple even gave a comic book. The money gift is just traditional. It's sort of like a dowry, as you become a member of the master's family. I have heard some masters tally up some crazy amounts but I would be surprised if Sifu's gifts even cover the cost of the food at the ceremony.

And a restraining order? Like I said, I would be very surprised to hear Sifu use that word, as I just don't think the concept or the word is in his vocabulary, in my experience...

I know Shi Yan Ming well, I am his disciple, and "afraid" and "scared" are not two words I would ever use to describe his demeanor, and I've been with him through some very heavy ****. Very heavy. maybe he thought this guy was a joke. he sort of presents himself in a way that I could see a traditional master not appreciating...so far from the way this master presents himself I think SYM would think he was a 'very funny gentleman.' he doesn't seem to have picked up much ethics.

Well, like I said, there is no way to know if he is telling the truth. I know he never showed up- I think I would know if he did. But the way he is describing things, it doesn't add up as far as I am concerned.

Meat:
              De Yang didn't seem to be giving anything up last time I saw him. Did a great Pao Tui form. Maybe he is distracted in China over what will happen when his master passes on.
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

p.s. this guy also claims Yan Ming smokes? Eats pork?

Nope.
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

wait just a minute..so, SYM knows about wkk then? i wonder how he found out about him..

certainly wasnt from reading his books!! lol

wkk vs sym would be a slaughter, itd be like me fighting dan..hahahahah.....

amitabha
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Vince- WKK came up in conversation and that is how he knows about him.

He wants to see WKK do some cloud stuff.
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Well, David Ross of Lama style fame posted in Kungfu mag forums a couple of months ago and said he sent a challenge letter to Yan Ming
                      Hey, now that's mature. Did this guy compare his ejaculatory abilities with other fourteen year old boys when he was younger?

Deyang is leaning away from gong fu. I watched him this trip, and talked to him extensively. He still is involved in it, but, as he told me, he doesn't do much anymore. He most definitely made a point of making this whole concept clear to me. Personally, from what I can tell, I think that there are some health issues involved. I watched him pose in some stances for the magazine photo shoot that I set up. Let's just say that he wasn't his usual, firm, typical self of years ago. Hey, it happens to all of us.

In my opinion, I question Guolin's knowledge of significant traditional gong fu training and applications. I might be wrong, but, I've heard far too many things over the years. I saw where he did a photo essay of Shao Lohan in one of Gene's issues, and he did parts of wrong. (Maybe because Gene coached him through some of it, lol). As I've heard from many sources, Guolin's tenure in Shaolin was limited; most of his temple experience was from elsewhere, again, as I've been told. His iron body skills are unparalleled, however.

And don't we all miss the cloud stuff.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                      russbo.com

Comment

Doc, thanks for the info. As to Guolin, however, I too have heard of Guolin's tenure in Shaolin being limited, but I meant that he must know traditional gongfu pretty well. I'm not saying it may be Shaolin Gongfu, but traditional gongfu nonetheless.

And seeing WKK in a friendly challenge on Yan Ming would be interesting. Hey Arhat, is Yan Ming more skilled in Modern San Shou/Sanda or traditional boxing? Or a mix of both?

On a side note, I think watching Yan Ming fight Ren Guangyi would be a good fight.
                        a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

meattosser..you know, you have the best english of any mexican ive ever known

on that topic, i dont think parring gung fu masters is a good idea..now, alot of people are sifus, few are true masters, regardless..at the master level your strikes are very powerful, i dont think theres any such thing as a "good" ie entertaining fight, between 2 masters, simply because i dont think it would last very long and the outcome might be unpleasant..

but anyhow, yes i miss the cloud stuff to heheheheh

amitabha
                          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Good ol' Maestro said: "...i dont think theres any such thing as a "good" ie entertaining fight, between 2 masters, simply because i dont think it would last very long and the outcome might be unpleasant.. "

Indeed. I absolutely agree with you. When I said "good fight", I didn't really mean entertaining (my fault, I didn't express myself correctly), I meant more that it would be quick and devastating. I definitely agree with you on this.

racist-ass Maestro said: "meattosser..you know, you have the best english of any mexican ive ever known..."

Hahaha, that was a low blow, ya bastard. You must not know many Mexicans. Hahaaha, I know you were just playing though, (or WERE YOU?) lol. Anyway, yeah, reading and writing have always been pretty easy for me. I was born here in the States, so English isn't really a problem. I live in Imperial Valley, and I'd say it's about 85% Mexican over here, 15% everything else, so I speak Spanish on a regular basis too, heh heh. Also, on a side note, I think it's safe to say that I live in THE FREAKIN' HOTTEST area of anyone here on the Russbo forum. The only ones that can probably come close are Steve and the Russbo team, since they live in Vegas.

Comment

You know Meat, you do have the best english of any Mexican I know.

Then again, the ones I know clean my backyard and mow my lawn. And run at the mention of "Green card?"

Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                              russbo.com

Comment

Doc said: "...Then again, the ones I know clean my backyard and mow my lawn. And run at the mention of "Green card?"

What?! Green Card? (Meat gets extremely nervous and begins to run away like a maniac...)

Hahaha, anyway though, thanks for the compliment, I guess. I'll give you some Spanish lessons once I get there, Doc, hahaha. 'Donde esta el cerote?' 'Ah, ya encontre el cerote!'
                                'Quien se cago adentro del carro?!' 'Deja tirar me un pedo en frente de tu cara!'

Comment

Working...
                                X